In the Name of the Brother
Alphonse: And now...now I have none.
- Art Shift: Dr. Whale's flashbacks stand out because he is from another story universe, where everything is black and white. Except for Rumplestiltskin, who shows up in a flamboyant red coat.
- Badass Boast: Emma delivers one on Gold's behalf.Emma: You're chained down. He's on his feet, immortal, has magic, and you hurt his girl. If I were to pick dead guy of the year, I'd pick you.
- Calling Me a Logarithm:Victor: Are you a philanthropist?
Rumplestiltskin: Well, I've been called worse.
- Came Back Wrong: Gerhardt Frankenstein.
- Foreshadowing: Gold fails to make Belle remember everything with a True Love's Kiss. Two seasons later we find out his true love is his own power.
- I Am Not Shazam:
- Becomes in-universe example.
- Lampshaded by Victor Frankenstein. "I wanted my name to stand for life...but everybody just thinks it's the name of a monster."
- Later, Emma also notes that Dr. Whale doesn't have bolts in his neck, and Henry corrects her, saying Frankenstein wasn't the monster.
- Subverted in that in this universe the monster is also a Frankenstein.
- I Have No Son: What Victor's father said to him when he lost his younger brother. Twice.
- Ignorance Is BlissRuby: Regina thought she was punishing us by erasing who we were. She underestimated just how much crap we wanted to forget.
- I'm Standing Right Here: Ruby's Death Glare to Leroy when he's worried about her being cut up.
- Jock Dad, Nerd Son: Alphonse clearly favors his son Gerhardt, who followed in his father's footsteps and joined the military. He also pressures Victor to join the military as a camp physician.
- Mad Scientist: Victor Frankenstein, of course. He's not a cackling madman but he does watch impassively while the reanimated Gerhardt beats their father to death.
- Magic Map: Cora gives Rumplestiltskin a blood-activated globe that enables him to locate his son.
- Magic Versus Science: Rumplestiltskin is interested in Victor's work because, although he prefers magic, only science stands a chance of reanimating the dead.
- Medium Blending: Everything in Victor's world that has its origin from another world with colors keeps them.
- Lampshaded when Rumplestiltskin references his "rosy complexion."
- My God, What Have I Done?: Gerhardt after killing his father and later after attacking his brother.
- Not So Different: As Ruby points out to Dr. Whale, both failed to save loved ones, even killing them.
- Overly Long Gag: The patient's Star Wars ringtone. It's as if Disney's saying "We own Star Wars so we don't have to pay for the song!"
- Parental Favoritism: Victor's father clearly liked the younger son Gerhardt compared to his older son.
- The Password Is Always Swordfish: Nicely averted. Despite the fact that most smartphones only have a four-digit passcode, random guessing gets them nowhere. Emma plugs some device into it to get past security.Mary Margaret: You can't just guess, there are millions of combinations—
Ruby: Ten thousand.
David: Leroy, can't you, I don't know, hack it?
Leroy: You do know computer hacking and pickaxe hacking are different, right?
- The Unfavourite: Victor. See Parental Favoritism above.