Season 2, Episode 12
In the Name of the Brother
I just wanted you to have two sons again. Alphonse:
And now...now I have none.
Dr. Whale: I wanted my name to stand for life...but everybody just thinks it's the name of a monster.
Dr. Whale is tasked with mending Hook’s wounds and performing surgery on the stranger whose car crashed upon entering Storybrooke, but some of the townspeople fear that the stranger may have seen magic — which could expose their true identities to the world — and think that leaving him to die would be the best solution. Meanwhile, as Mr. Gold tries to reunite with a despondent Belle, Cora attempts to reunite with her daughter, Regina, and in the land that was, Victor Frankenstein desperately wants to prove to his disapproving father that he can, indeed, bring back the dead.
- Art Shift: Dr. Whale's flashbacks stand out because he is from another story universe, where everything is black and white. Except for Rumplestiltskin, who shows up in a flamboyant red coat.
- Badass Boast: Emma delivers one on Gold's behalf.
Emma: You're chained down. He's on his feet, immortal, has magic, and you hurt his girl. If I were to pick dead guy of the year, I'd pick you.
- Calling Me a Logarithm:
Victor: Are you a philanthropist?
Rumplestiltskin: Well, I've been called worse.
- Came Back Wrong: Gerhardt Frankenstein.
- I Am Not Shazam:
- Becomes in-universe example.
- Lampshaded by Victor Frankenstein. "I wanted my name to stand for life...but everybody just thinks it's the name of a monster."
- Later, Emma also notes that Dr. Whale doesn't have bolts in his neck, and Henry corrects her, saying Frankenstein wasn't the monster.
- Subverted in that in this universe the monster is also a Frankenstein.
- I Have No Son: What Victor's father said to him when he lost his younger brother.
- I'm Standing Right Here: Rubi's Death Glare to Leeroy when he's worried about her being cut up.
- Jock Dad, Nerd Son: Alphonse clearly favors his son Gerhardt, who followed in his father's footsteps and joined the military. He also pressures Victor to join the military as a camp physician.
- Mad Scientist: Victor Frankenstein, of course. He's not a cackling madman but he does watch impassively while the reanimated Gerhardt beats their father to death.
- Magic Map: Cora gives Rumplestiltskin a blood-activated globe that enables him to locate his son.
- Magic Versus Science: Rumplestiltskin is interested in Victor's work because, although he prefers magic, only science stands a chance of reanimating the dead.
- Medium Blending: Everything in Victor's world that has its origin from another world with colors keeps them.
- Lampshaded when Rumplestiltskin references his "rosy complexion."
- My God, What Have I Done?: Gerhardt after killing his father and later after attacking his brother.
- Not So Different: As Ruby points out to Dr. Whale, both failed to save loved ones, even killing them.
- Overly-Long Gag: The patient's Star Wars ringtone. It's as if Disney's saying "We own Star Wars so we don't have to pay for the song!"
- Parental Favoritism: Victor's father clearly liked the younger son Gerhardt compared to his older son.
- The Password Is Always Swordfish: Nicely averted. Despite the fact that most smartphones only have a four-digit passcode, random guessing gets them nowhere. Emma plugs some device into it to get past security.
Mary Margaret: You can't just guess, there are millions of combinations—
Ruby: Ten thousand.
David: Leroy, can't you, I don't know, hack it?
Leroy: You do know computer hacking and pickaxe hacking are different, right?
- The Unfavourite: Victor. See Parental Favoritism above.