Season 1, Episode 5
That Still Small Voice
Look, can't we skip this tonight? We don't need the money. Myrna:
Everything isn't about money, Jiminy. It's the principle. Martin:
A commitment to excellence. Myrna:
Excellence at stealing money.
Archie Hopper: Why do you think it's so important that your fairy-tale theory is true?
Henry Mills: I don't know.
Archie Hopper: Give it a shot.
Henry Mills: 'Cause, this can't be all that there is.
Emma is deputized by Sheriff Graham, Mary Margaret begins to question if she has feelings for David and an earthquake causes a giant sinkhole to mysteriously appear near the town's edge – placing a curious Henry in danger when he decides to see if the sinkhole is connected to the Dark Curse – while the backstory of Pinocchio's conscience, Jiminy Cricket, is revealed along with his yearning to transform into the person he wants to be.
- Baleful Polymorph: Geppetto's parents, courtesy of Jiminy (by accident of course). Averted with Jiminy himself, who's happier in his animal form than he ever was out of it.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: For the first time, we see Regina display how she really does care about Henry. Not that it stops her from shoving Emma away from him once he's safe.
- Faux Affably Evil: Jiminy's parents. At first they just seem like lazy common thieves who enjoy their job a little too much, but we see later that they don't so much as bat an eye at what amounts to murder.
- Finishing Each Other's Sentences: Jiminy's parents do it a lot, usually when they're making excuses for why their thieving lifestyle is a good thing.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Archie and Marco are revealed as such; a side effect of them being lifelong companions in the Fairy Tale world.
- Iconic Item: Emma's red coat is pretty much established as this in her first scene this episode.
- Laughably Evil: Jiminy's parents again. They're pretty much Expy's of the Thénardiers..
- Took a Level in Badass: Archie Hopper, after listening to Henry tell of him being Jimminy Cricket, finally takes the time to stand up to Regina, and take care of Henry without hurting his feelings.
- Took a Level in Jerkass and Whatthe Hell Hero?: Archie takes his stand by essentially threatening to have Henry taken away from Regina. This is a problem when you realize that he would have to essentially lie to authorities to make good on his threat. Regina may not be a nice person, but she has displayed no signs of being an unfit parent for Henry and has been shown to really love him. Also, by entertaining Henry's belief of the curse, Archie is also entertaining the idea of Henry's mother being "evil" which is harmful for their parent-child relationship.
- Wham Line: "His name is Gepetto."
- Wham Shot: The final shot of the episode, when we find out what the "something shiny" Henry discovered was: Snow White's coffin from the Enchanted Forest at the bottom of the mine shaft.