Season 1, Episode 5
That Still Small Voice
Look, can't we skip this tonight? We don't need the money. Myrna:
Everything isn't about money, Jiminy. It's the principle. Martin:
A commitment to excellence. Myrna:
Excellence at stealing money.
Archie Hopper: Why do you think it's so important that your fairy-tale theory is true?
Henry Mills: I don't know.
Archie Hopper: Give it a shot.
Henry Mills: 'Cause, this can't be all that there is.
Emma is deputized by Sheriff Graham, Mary Margaret begins to question if she has feelings for David and an earthquake causes a giant sinkhole to mysteriously appear near the town's edge – placing a curious Henry in danger when he decides to see if the sinkhole is connected to the Dark Curse – while the backstory of Pinocchio's conscience, Jiminy Cricket, is revealed along with his yearning to transform into the person he wants to be.
- Baleful Polymorph: Geppetto's parents, courtesy of Jiminy (by accident of course). Averted with Jiminy himself, who's happier in his animal form than he ever was out of it.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: For the first time, we see Regina display how she really does care about Henry. Not that it stops her from shoving Emma away from him once he's safe.
- Faux Affably Evil: Jiminy's parents. At first they just seem like lazy common thieves who enjoy their job a little too much, but we see later that they don't so much as bat an eye at what amounts to murder.
- Finishing Each Other's Sentences: Jiminy's parents do it a lot, usually when they're making excuses for why their thieving lifestyle is a good thing.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Archie and Marco are revealed as such; a side effect of them being lifelong companions in the Fairy Tale world.
- Iconic Item: Emma's red coat is pretty much established as this in her first scene this episode.
- Laughably Evil: Jiminy's parents again. They're pretty much Expy's of the Thénardiers..
- Took a Level in Badass: Archie Hopper, after listening to Henry tell of him being Jimminy Cricket, finally takes the time to stand up to Regina, and take care of Henry without hurting his feelings.
- Wham Line: "His name is Gepetto."