Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 10 E 13 Diabolik
Crow: "This movie looks kind of familiar, doesn't it?"
Look, Nelson. Move on. I am.
It doesn't really seem like he comes out ahead. Crow: Mwa ha ha ha ha ha ha
— Hey! Who turned out the lights?? Servo:
This has been the official biopic of Larry Fine
— The last lines in the theater
Film watched: Danger: Diabolik
The MST3K treatment provides examples of:
- And the Adventure Continues: Mike and the 'Bots will apparently continue to watch bad movies together forever, even when they aren't being forced to do so by mad scientists.
- Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: At the end, the Mads are huddled together singing "It's a Long Way to Tipperary" (see Shout Out, below).
- Brick Joke: When preparing for returning to Earth, Mike mentions that he's bringing rice. He asks if anybody wants some in the last scene.
- Buffy Speak:
Observer: Apparently, you initiated re-entry protocol for the satellite.
Pearl: Well, make it...not...protocol the re-entry. Make it better!
- Call Back: The above-mentioned Brick Joke is also a reference to episode 815 (thirty-three episodes prior), when Mike's apparent love of rice is first introduced.
- Servo helps prepare for the return to Earth by destroying the many clones of himself first introduced in episode 420. Although this does, of course, bring up the issue of just what makes one of them the "real" Servo.
- Continuity Nod: "Welcome, Dr. Meacham."
- Crapsack World: Crow fears Earth will be like this and is afraid. The others sing "To Earth" to calm him down, but as he expresses his fears in more detail, Servo starts to become afraid. By the end, Crow feels better about going to Earth, while Servo has "wedged himself under the desk."
- Department of Redundancy Department: To Eeaaarth, the very birthplace of my biiirrrth!
- Fade to White: As the SOL crashes.
- Glad I Thought of It: When Bobo helpfully suggests that Pearl initiate the SOL's self-destruct mechanism, she declares, "Bobo, I'm a genius!"
- Grand Finale
- Here We Go Again: The series ends with Mike, Crow, and Servo watching The Crawling Eye, the very first movie MST3K nationally riffed, on TV. And riffing on it. Crow experiences some mild deja vu but they all dismiss it as nothing.
- Of course, back then it was three entirely different guys doing the riffing...
- Hint Dropping:
- Lonely Piano Piece: After the S.O.L. crashes, a lonely piano version of "Who Should I Kill?" plays.
- Mondegreen: During the theme song.
Mike: "Keep my potty down"? Women and their toilet seat issues...
- Mythology Gag: The episode ends with Mike, Crow and Servo watching The Crawling Eye on TV. Crow remarks that the film looks familiar...
- Also, when Pearl disconnects communication at the end, let's just say four words come to mind... "Push the button, Frank."
- During the Fade to White, a few piano notes of Who Should I Kill play.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain
- Non Sequitur Thud: A variation: just before the episode started, Pearl apparently poured Mountain Dew into Brain Guy's brainpan, which conveniently keeps him from preventing the guys' escape and shorts out his speech center, causing him to say things like "Jelly squint!" in place of "Take That!" and "Raging clip-art" when Pearl goes berserk.
- No One Should Survive That: Somehow Mike and the 'Bots were able to walk away unscathed from the SOL crashing into Earth.
- Notable Original Music:
- Not Distracted by the Sexy: While Eva is taking off her dress in the foreground, Mike points to some "dangerously steep" stairs in the background. Servo and Crow can only shake their heads.
- Shout Out: The Mads' last scene echoes the series finale of The Mary Tyler Moore Show.
- Shown Their Work: WTMJ is a real TV station in the Milwaukee area (it is the local NBC affiliate).
- Snub by Omission: When Mike and the 'bots think the SOL is about to self-destruct:
Mike: This is it! I love you Crow, I love you Servo, I love you Gypsy!
Gypsy: I love you Mike, I love you Servo, I love you Crow!
Crow: I love you Gypsy, I love you Mike, I love you Servo!
Servo: I love you Gypsy, I love you Mike! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
(the self-destruct fails, merely causing a very small explosion)
Crow: Um...Servo, you wanna add—?
Servo: I was gonna say it! I just couldn't think of your name!
Crow: Yeah, right.
- Stuff Blowing Up: Servo gets rid of all the extra hims that have built up over the years.
- Sorry, I'm Gay: Uttered by the guys when Eva tries to Femme Fatale a car-jacking victim.
- Made better when the driver turns out to have a gravelly voice, and they claim he borrowed it from Harvey Fierstein.
- Take That: When Diabolik makes everybody at a press conference laugh hysterically:
- Villainous Breakdown: Pearl learns that she has accidentally started the SOL's re-entry sequence. She does not take the news well. At all.
Bobo: This can't be good for us!
Bobo: (as he collapses) See?
- What Happened to Magic Voice?: The only SOL member unaccounted-for in the end.
- "Where Are They Now?" Epilogue: Mike and the 'bots are alive and well and living in Milwaukee.
Tom: Sweet garden-level living! One bedroom, one half bath, and on the bus line!
- Your Makeup Is Running: Pearl is quite a sight after crying over her failure to destroy the SOL.
"Is that stud coming?"