“You know what? You lose me straight away when your movie’s protagonist is named ‘Zap Rowsdower’. The second I hear him identified as ‘Zap Rowsdower’ I am squeezing past you and climbing over your legs and muttering “excuse me” and I am getting the hell out of the movie. Only this time I couldn’t because I was at work and I’m hourly and I had used up all my vacation and sick time. How about Plink Holmgren? Or Pow Flowhauer?"Film watched: The Final Sacrifice
—Mary Jo Pehl, The Amazing Colossal MST3K Guide
- While Gypsy work on the SOL's power, Crow and Servo take the blackout as a time to loot. Their spoils are underwhelming though.
- Pearl starts her campaign of world domination by going at it one person at a time, but runs into a few roadblocks along the way— the first person she asks to rule over has impenetrable defenses (he tells her "no") while the second person she asks is Servo.
- Mountie Servo sings a tribute to Canada as response to the Canada-bashing, which Crow and Mike ruin with their own improvised lyrics. They encourage Servo to lighten up and join in the bashing, but he takes it entirely too far and ends up having a breakdown over being a "disgrace to my uniform".
- Castle Forrester and the SOL are infected with hockey hair, leaving Bobo bedridden, the Bots annoyed, and Mike unaffected since he'd already had a case of hockey hair in his youth. Brain Guy, meanwhile, finds his new hairstyle an improvement.
- The Bots decide to let the hockey hair as it is, only to find Mike inflicted with Grizzled Old Prospector syndrome. He gets better after Commercial Sign.
- Crow and Servo start up their own cult and invite Mike for baking and watching TV dramas, to his horror. Pearl is successful getting a new approach in personal domination, only to be usurped by Travelers, Inc.
The Mystery Science Theater 3000 presentation has examples of:
- A-Team Firing:Mike (as Rowsdower): D'oh, I shot in between them. I got confused!
- The Alcoholic: Referenced:Crow: "Hm, I wonder if there's beer on the sun."
- And the Adventure Continues: Zap & Troy: The Legendary Journeys.
- Berserk Button: When the Mads find out they gave a guy a whole feast for no reason, Bobo gets pissed.Bobo: (grabbing the guy's mouth) GIVE ME BACK MY FOOD!
- Brain Bleach: Crow has this reaction during his pitch of Zap & Troy: The Legendary Journeys when Mike the TV Executive suggests that Rowsdower go full-frontal a couple times a season.
- Brief Accent Imitation: During the opening credits, Tom briefly takes on a Canadian accent:Servo: Hey, Ron Anderson here, just gotta nip down and make that movie real good then.
- Broken Aesop: After Mike and Crow interrupt Tom's increasingly frightening "Canada Song".Mike: Mustn't hate, mustn't hate...
Crow: At least not so overtly.
Mike: Exactly. Must disguise our hate, just a little.
- Broken Record: Crow comments on the soundtrack to the film:Crow: Man, "Beethoven's 5th" just can't get started here.
- Callback"He's gonna turn into a warwilf!"
- Canada, Eh?: The movie itself was set in Canada, but doesn't use any of the stereotypes. The MST3K episode makes numerous jokes that fit this trope exactly, however, culminating in a song about Canada that is nothing but mocking the country using every stereotype imaginable...eh?
- Catch-Phrase: "Rowsdower!"
- Celebrity Resemblance: Many of the riffs remark on that Troy's father◊ looks like NFL player Larry Csonka◊. Also, Rowsdower does look a bit like Randy Bachman of Bachman-Turner Overdrive.
"Oooooh, I hates that rabbit!"
- Aunt Betty looks like either Mrs. Costanza or Al "Grandpa" Lewis while Satoris in the prologue◊ looked like Ray Davies.◊
- Not only does Pipper sound like Yosemite Sam or Tom Waits, he's also resembles the Ethiopian Emperor Haile Selassie & Red Green.
- Corpsing: Mike and the bots can barely keep their composure when Mike Pipper and his ridiculous accent first appear in the film around the one hour mark.
- Credits Gag: A rather lengthy one as Crow attempts to discuss pitching the movie as a television series and Mike gets deep in character and actually acts like a real live executive...complete with meddling.
- Curse Cut Short: Servo's Canada song ends with the line "Your country's just a giant piece of—", but both Mike and Crow stop him before he can finish.
- Curse of the Ancients: After Mike catches "Grizzled Old Prospector Syndrome."
- Dynamic Entry: When Rowsdower bursts into the room in one scene:"Kramer-dower!"
- '80s Hair: Turns out "Hockey Hair" is caused by an airborne virus. Who knew?
- Exactly What I Aimed At: When Rowsdower ends up threatening Troy with a club:Crow: (as Troy) "Wait, it's me!"Servo: (as Rowsdower) "I know!"
- Executive Meddling: Parodied in Crow's pitch for Zap And Troy: The Legendary Journeys.Crow: But the main character—Mike: Has a friend— a girl! Hell, he's a girl too. There's a bunch of girls. There's an ugly girl, a serious girl, a loose girl— everyone in the damn series is a damn girl!Crow: But Rowsdower...?Mike: A big hairy girl!
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: In this case, linguistically literal.Servo (as masked goon): "Aw merde! Mon pied!" ('Oh, shit! My foot!') (made funnier by the fact that Servo says it in a flat, American accent rather than the usual faux Frenchiness).
Crow: So Mike, are they in a heavily forested area?Mike: Yeah.Crow: Would you call these the "Deep Woods"?Mike: Uh...yeah?Crow: Because when you're in the Deep Woods, you can't BEAT the reliable, reasonably priced mosquito repellent OFF!
- a subtle one:
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: Mike suffers this when he learns Crow and Servo have entered a Muffin-y, Calista Flockhart, Swoosie Kurtz kind of cult, instead of the usual animal sacrifice sort.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Servo's "Canada" song predates "Blame Canada".
- Hollywood Heart Attack: Mike and the bots interpret Rowsdower's heavy breathing after a chase sequence to be this."Hold on, I'm having a series of elaborate heart attacks."
- Ho Yay: In-Universe, between Troy and Rowsdower.Rowsdower: [to his car] "Come on baby, don't let me down!"
Servo (as Troy): "I won't, Rowsdower!"orCrow (as Troy): My Rowsdower's come for me!
- During the skit where Mike gets Grizzled Old Prospector Syndrome, Tom asks Mike if he's been kissing any prospectors. After pondering briefly, Mike denies it, though he apparently did kiss a surly truck farmer (in a Continuity Nod all the way back to Joel's day and the short in Episode 507).
- I'm a HumanitarianTroy: Did you know him (Troy's father)?
Tom (as Mike Pipper): Know him? He was delicious!
- Later, Mike (as Pipper) states that he "jerked" Troy's father (as in dried meat). It's hard not to imagine the alternate use of that verb.Mike: You know, if you hit a Rowsdower you get to keep it.
Crow: The meat's a bit gamey, but it's good for sausage.
- Later, Mike (as Pipper) states that he "jerked" Troy's father (as in dried meat). It's hard not to imagine the alternate use of that verb.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Mike gets cut off preemptively when he tries to make one about people "just dying to get into" a cemetery. Note, though, that Mike did the same joke in season 5's The Atomic Brain, and was able to finish the joke.
- See also the "Pipper" joke under Stealth Pun, which Servo also cuts off.
- Inherently Funny Word: "Rowsdower!"
- Inkblot Test: When Troy is rummaging through drawings:Servo: Hmmm, devil... living room... dining room... kitchen... another devil.
- Jumping Off the Slippery Slope: Taking a cue from Mike & Crow's ribbing of Canada during his song of tribute, Servo tries his hand at poking fun and immediately starts calling for Canada's fiery destruction instead.Servo: *crying* I have no sense of proportion, I'm a disgrace to my uniform!
- Light Bulb Joke:Crow: Hey Mike, how many geeks does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
Mike: How many?
Crow: ...I don't know; that's why I'm asking.
- Memetic Badass/Memetic Loser: In-universe; Mike and the bots mix open disdain for Rowsdower with turning him into a great warrior.
- Noodle Incident: How Mike got Grizzled Prospector Syndrome.
- It involved kissing a surly Truck Farmer.note
- Pearl once beat the tar out of a man who tried to steal her purse at a theater in Branson, Missouri.
- Running Gag: Rowsdower!
- The various geeky extracurricular hobbies attributed to the kid."And so it is with a heavy heart that I must resign from Chess Club..."
"This is just like that time I almost missed the Teens Encounter Christ bus!"
"I haven't been this tense since Mock U.N.!"
- "Seven years later..."
- As mentioned in Celebrity Resemblance, they bring up Larry Csonka too many times to count.
- Pipper's similarities to Yosemite Sam
- Satoris' army of goons are apparently French-Canadians. Mike & The Bots give them French names and phrases.Mike: "Zut allors!" "Je suis mort!" "Gilles, no!" "Not Etienne!"
- Rowsdower's alcoholism.
- The goons being compared to either BDSM Gimps or executioners.
- Occasional Canadian accent impersonations.Servo: "Hey, Ron Anderson here, just gotta nip down and make that movie real good then."Mike (As Goon): "Uh, you gonna hit the brakes now or what?"Crow: (After Rowsdower instructs Troy concerning getting the truck out of the mud) And I'd like to thank Dan Aykroyd for doing that last line!
- The various geeky extracurricular hobbies attributed to the kid.
- Shot in the Ass: As it's very unclear where Troy shoots Satoris in the film's climax, Mike and the 'bots assumed he was shot in the butt. Later extended when Satoris catches fire seemingly because of it, and the 'bots suggest shooting Mike in the butt to find out if this is a reliable method for setting humans on fire.
- Shout-Out:Mike (as Pipper): And remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
- Mike also refers to "Troy and Rowsdower: The Legendary Journeys" during the end credits.
- Shout-Out to Shakespeare: "A horse! My six-pack for a horse!"
- Song Parody: "We Will, We Will Rowsdower!"
- Stalker With a Crush: The hosts imagine Troy as one of these, writing badgering letters to Counselor Troi and Agent Scully, by those names.
- Stealth PunMike (upon learning a character's surname): Oh! He's a Pipper! (beat) Wouldn't you like to be a—
- The Stoic: Parodied:Aunt: Now Troy, we've talked about this before. I don't want you to cry about what is past.
Mike: (as aunt) No emotions, we've discussed that.
- Stupid Crooks: Crow and Servo go on a looting spree once Gypsy shuts off the Satellite's power. Crow steals his own TV, while Tom breaks into Mike's room to rob him of his recycling.
- Take Over the World: While this has always been Pearl's goal, here she comes up with another scheme: to take over the world one person at a time! She fails in ruling one person.
- Except for some geeky guy in the end (played by Paul Chaplin). He stated he belonged to the "Traveler's Group" but the Mads tie him to a chair and put some sort of brainwashing gizmo on his head.
- This is also the goal of Satoris and his evil prehistoric cult of Canadian BDSM Luchadores.
- Take That!: To Canada. Servo takes his Take That! too far, though.Servo: ♪Oh, I wish I was blowing up Prince Edward Island / And going on to bomb Ontario! / The destruction of Canada and all of its culture / Is by far my fav-o-rite scenario!♪
Mike: OK, well that's a little strong....
Servo: No, no, you were right Mike, this is much more fun! ♪Just where the hell does Canada get off sharing a border / With countries far superior to it?♪
Servo: ♪Why, you lousy, stinking, francophonic, bacon-loving bastards, / Your country's just a giant piece of sh--♪
- That Poor Plant: Invoked: Servo greets the sight of a withered house plant with a desperate "Water me!"
- That Was Not a Dream: "Wow, I dreamt I was stuck with this chunky backwoods loser named Rowsdow—Aah!"
- Thememobile: "Rowsdowermobile, awaaaaay!"
- Title DropServo: "Oh, please just one more sacrifice!"
Mike: "Alright, but this is The Final Sacrifice!"
- Tom Waits: When Mike Pipper shows up, Servo quips "I'd like to sing something from Bone Machine."
- Unfortunate Names: Referenced in the film.Crow: He comes from a long line of "Great Anuses"noteCrow: Oh, yeah? Well, my name's Bilge Stinkwater.
- The Virus: Bobo eats a bad can of Canadian bacon and causes hockey hair in everyone. Mike turns out to be immune since he already had it... but this makes him vulnerable to Grizzled Old Prospector Syndrome.
- With Lyrics: Mike and the bots add lyrics to the ending theme music for The Final Sacrifice.Tom: Oh baby, Rowsdower saves us and saves all the world.
Crow: He comes to save the day in a broken truck.
Mike: With a stinky denim jacket on his back.
Crow: He couldn't help this movie, which really sucked.
Mike: But, at least we didn't have to see him... play... hacky-sack.
Tom: (talking) What?
Mike: (talking) I'm sorry, I panicked.
- You Look Familiar: In-Universe and parodied: Pearl can't quite place who Tom Servo is when Observer summons him to the castle to be "ruled".