Film watched: Terror from the Year 5000
The MST3K presentation contains these tropes:
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: At one point, Bob asks if there's a good movie playing in town. Mike's response: "So now we get to watch people watching a movie? What's that about?"
- Food Pills: Observers sent Mike their super-advanced Food Pills — but you have to eat huge heaping bowls of them. Mike serves up gourmet pill dishes a la Anthony Bourdaine.
- Ho Yay: Invoked for comedy when Victor arranges to have Bob sleep in his room.Mike: (As narrator, while Victor sneaks out of bed) The Terrible, Aching Crush I Have On My Roommate... FROM THE YEAR 5000!!!
- I Read It for the Articles: When one of the women in the film starts undressing, Crow excitedly says, "Movie's getting better, movie's getting better! I like the pacing, the cinematography has improved considerably."
- In the Style of...: In the writeup of the episode, Kevin Murphy remarks when they sang "When I Held Your Brain In My Arms" that "the Observers sound a helluva lot like Servo covering the The Ink Spots."
- Kirk Summation: Pearl refuses to kill Bobo, going on a passionate speech about being human and responsibility to other living things.
- Shut Up, Kirk!: Bobo then sucker punches her.Bobo: You forgot — I'm not human!
- Shut Up, Kirk!: Bobo then sucker punches her.
- No Indoor Voice: Miss Blake is said to be this, as a joke on her Extreme Doormat personality and exaggeratedly-gentle mannerisms.
- Notable Original Music: The Observers' "When I Held Your Brain In My Arms", In the Style of... The Ink Spots.
- Running Gag: Servo keeps impersonating the narrator's booming declarations of the TERROR FROM THE YEAR 5000 to apologize and make excuses for the TERROR's failure to show up until about an hour into the movie.Tom: I Realize I May Have Oversold The "Terror" At The Beginning, And For That I Apologize.
- Slasher Smile: The Observers sport these in the Stinger. Just look at Paul Chaplin's and try not to be scared.
- Time Machine: Used to mess with Mike Nelson a bit, and to teach Crow a lesson for same.
- [Verb] This!: Crow tells one of the Observers to "Observe this!" after they try and get Mike and the bots to fight each other.