Featured work: A Date With Your Family
(Educational Short) and Invasion USA 1952
World War III
separates the serious drinkers from the amateurs!
The film Invasion USA
(1952) was featured, along with the memorable short A Date With Your Family
, an educational film about dinner manners served with a heaping side of Unfortunate Implications
. The YMMV
page can be found here.
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot / Crush. Kill. Destroy!: Mike's attempt to build his own Robot Buddy (following the lead of his predecessor Joel) results in this.
- All Just a Dream: Referred to in the final host segment.
- Black Comedy: Or more accurately, Nuclear Holocaust Comedy.
Crow: (As airline pilot) We got a real pretty view of the dust cloud out the right window. It's currently seven thousand degrees in San Francisco...
- Camp Straight: The Arizona rancher character's cowboy outfit stampedes into this trope thanks to Have a Gay Old Time.
Crow: I really am a cowboy! I'm not gay!
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience / Fridge Brilliance: The Robot Buddy Mike attempts to build is blue, which makes sense since Crow is yellow and Tom is red - blue is the logical next step, since it's the third primary color.
- Extra! Extra! Read All About It!
Mike: Now that is a walk-on!
- Sophisticated as Hell:
Crow: (As Ohman) You know, you only rent cognac...
- Shout-Out: "Now will the dancing Hitlers please get to this side!"
- Take That: During the Spot the Imposter scene:
Guard: Ever see the Cubs play?
Servo: Yeah, they won. Oops, DAMN!
American patrol: Who goes there?
Crow, panicky: Uh, the Cubs! Studs Terkel! Saul Bellow! Oh, whatever, just shoot 'em!
- This one at the very beginning of the Movie:
Crow: You mean it doesn't exist?
- Television Geography: Soviet paratroopers are shown landing on a beach supposedly outside Washington, D.C., which is 30+ miles from the Atlantic Ocean.
Crow: Ah, the sandy beaches of Dupont Circle.
- Throw It In: Trace (as Crow) flubs one of his riffs during the movie, but they simply ignore it and keep going.
Crow: You know, this for.. fi.. fuh.. cuh.. aufhem.
- Unusual Euphemism: As Carla's boss heads out to start manufacturing tank parts, he asks Carla if she's staying with Vince. Servo's reply:
Servo: (as Carla) Vince and I are going to make our own tank parts.
- Cheating with the Milkman:
Narrator: Dad will be home soon. Better tell Mother she's needed in the kitchen.
Servo: ... where the postman eagerly awaits.
- I Have No Son: A running gag during the "dinner" portion of the short. When the narrator explains that nobody should start eating before Father serves everyone their platesnote ...
Mike: Father feigns eating, draws Junior out, then disowns him!
Mike: 'Least I have two sons...
- Nuns Are Funny: Invoked during the Dinner and a Show portion of the family's dinner, during the scenes where Brother and Sister are shown talking with no sound.
Servo: (As Brother, giving a blow-by-blow account of a fight) So Sister Mary Patrick had him up against the wall and nailed him...
Servo: (As Sister, making "unkind comparisons" about someone) Oh, and she was a big nun, with a mustache (Sister makes a gesture across her upper lip) and this huge black habit...
- Shout-Out: When Brother makes the "OK" sign after taking his first bite of dinner.
"EEEEEXTRA! PAAAAAPER! Read all about it! America invaded!"