It's time for the Second TV Tropes Halloween Avatar Contest! Details here
Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 06 E 02 Invasion USA
Featured work: A Date With Your Family
(Educational Short) and Invasion U.S.A. (1952)
World War III
separates the serious drinkers from the amateurs!
The film Invasion USA
(1952) was featured, along with the memorable short A Date With Your Family
, an educational film about dinner manners served with a heaping side of Unfortunate Implications
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot / Crush. Kill. Destroy!: Mike's attempt to build his own Robot Buddy (following the lead of his predecessor Joel) results in this. Servo and Crow spit and curse at the seemingly disabled robot ("Dork!" "Weiner!") before it starts up again - "DESTRUCT! DESTRUCT! DESTRUCT!"
- All Just a Dream: Referred to in the final host segment.
- Black Comedy: Or more accurately, Nuclear Holocaust Comedy.
Crow: (As airline pilot) We got a real pretty view of the dust cloud out the right window. It's currently seven thousand degrees in San Francisco...
- Camp Straight: The Arizona rancher character's cowboy outfit stampedes into this trope thanks to Have a Gay Old Time.
Crow: I really am a cowboy! I'm not gay!
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience / Fridge Brilliance: The Robot Buddy Mike attempts to build is blue, which makes sense since Crow is yellow and Tom is red - blue is the logical next step, since it's the third primary color.
- Crush. Kill. Destroy!: Mike's robot has only this in its programming, it seems.
- Extra! Extra! Read All About It!
Mike: Now that is a walk-on!
- Historical In-Joke: Crow becomes a subject of Harry Harlow's infamous experiment.
- Sophisticated as Hell:
Crow: (As Ohman) You know, you only rent cognac...
- Shout-Out: "Now will the dancing Hitlers please get to this side!"
- Take That: During the Spot the Imposter scene:
Guard: Ever see the Cubs play?
Servo: Yeah, they won. Oops, DAMN!
American patrol: Who goes there?
Crow, panicky: Uh, the Cubs! Studs Terkel! Saul Bellow! Oh, whatever, just shoot 'em!
- This one at the very beginning of the Movie:
Crow: You mean it doesn't exist?
- Television Geography: Soviet paratroopers are shown landing on a beach supposedly outside Washington, D.C., which is 30+ miles from the Atlantic Ocean.
Crow: Ah, the sandy beaches of Dupont Circle.
- Throw It In: Trace (as Crow) flubs one of his riffs during the movie, but they simply ignore it and keep going.
Crow: You know, this for.. fi.. fuh.. cuh.. aufhem.
- Unusual Euphemism: As Carla's boss heads out to start manufacturing tank parts, he asks Carla if she's staying with Vince. Servo's reply:
Servo: (as Carla) Vince and I are going to make our own tank parts.
- Call Back: When Brother makes the "OK" sign after taking his first bite of dinner.
- Cheating with the Milkman:
Narrator: Dad will be home soon. Better tell Mother she's needed in the kitchen.
Servo: ... where the postman eagerly awaits.
- Deconstructive Parody: The host segment based on this short has Mike and the Bots taking the narrator's advice. Their attempt to "converse in a refined and dignified manner" turns out to be bland and unspecific. They eventually get tired of this and proceed to eat their dinner with Jabba Table Manners.
Crow: Say, how about that sporting event? One team emerged the victor, whereas the other, alas, found themselves vanquished.
Gypsy: Ah, but such are the vicissitudes of sport.
Tom: Indeed. You know, the other day, I had the occasion to witness a cultural event. It seemed to point to the foibles of everyday living. Afterwards, I reflected on the stimulating nature of the presentation.
Mike: Recently, I was taken by an article of literature. The author used sentences and paragraphs to express his point of view.
Crow: Oh, that reminds me of a pleasantry I was exposed to recently. An anecdote happened that might be interpreted as whimsical. It provided all parties with a puckish sense of diverting amusement.
- I Have No Son: A running gag during the "dinner" portion of the short. When the narrator explains that nobody should start eating before Father serves everyone their platesnote ...
Mike: Father feigns eating, draws Junior out, then disowns him!
Mike: 'Least I have two sons...
- Nuns Are Funny: Invoked during the Dinner and a Show portion of the family's dinner, during the scenes where Brother and Sister are shown talking with no sound.
Servo: (As Brother, giving a blow-by-blow account of a fight) So Sister Mary Patrick had him up against the wall and nailed him...
Servo: (As Sister, making "unkind comparisons" about someone) Oh, and she was a big nun, with a mustache (Sister makes a gesture across her upper lip) and this huge black habit...
"EEEEEXTRA! PAAAAAPER! Read all about it! America invaded!"