Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 04 E 11 The Magic Sword
Film watched: The Magic SwordIn a highly unusual admission, Joel Robinson and Tom Servo said the movie was "pretty good for a Bert I Gordon film" during a theater segment. (Crow T. Robot seemed to disagree, but found something he liked about it too.) The writers of the show continued the praise in their Amazing Colossal Episode Guide.
The Mystery Science Theater 3000 presentation has examples of:
- Bad Bad Acting: Frank, while trying to sell the merits of Forrester's half of the invention exchange in a one-act play. Complete with glances at the teleprompter.
- Blatant Lies: Dr. Forrester's attempt to reassure Frank that he looks fine in the final segment.
- Brain Bleach:Crow: (singing about Estelle Winwood) She's rooty-toot-toot / I bet she smells like Juicy Fruit...Servo: Blecch!
- Girl of the Week: Crow rather famously ended his idolization of Kim Catrall to pursue Estelle Winwood in this episode instead.
- Grandma, What Massive Hotness You Have: Crow has this reaction toward Sybil.
- Which turns a little squicky if you realize Estelle Winwood died eight years before the episode aired.
- Servo averts this however, interrupting Crow's "Ode to Estelle" with his Long List:Servo: (singing) Here's a quick list of people much better looking than Estelle...Crow: (rolling eyes) You're so shallow.Crow: Very funny...Servo: Fred Gwynne and Anthony Quinn and Rin Tin Tin and Pearl Bailey and Moms Mabley and Mayor Daley and Hank & Phoebe Snow... (deep breath) Ethel Merman and Pee Wee Herman and Strom Thurmond and Vince Lombardi and Burgess Meredith and George & Mary & Jesus Jones... (deep breath) Edith Head and Mister Ed and Nostradamus and Danny Thomas and Leona and Sherman Hemsley...Crow: (completely frustrated) Joel, make him stop!Joel: Servo, you're not helping things at all. Can you go and cut those coupons like you promised?Servo: Daaaaaaah, okay! (leaves singing) Willy DeVille and Agnes DeMille and Cruella De Vil and Roscoe Tanner...
- Incredibly Lame PunCrow: "Hey, Joel! Serf's up!"
- Notable Original Music: Crow's classic "Ode to Estelle". How quickly Kim Cattrall is forgotten.
- Running Gag: The king's resemblence to Grady from Sanford and Son.
- Serious Business: Tom Servo's rant about the Middle Ages.
- Seven Dirty Words: Briefly discussed in the final host segment.
- Shout-Out: "Strider!" "Boromir!"
- Ye Olde Butcherede Englishe
Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 21 Santa Claus Conquers The Martians Recap/Mystery Science Theater 3000 Turkey Day 92 Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 04 E 04 Teenagers From Outer Space
Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 04 E 10 Hercules Against The Moon Men Recap/Mystery Science Theater 3000 Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 04 E 12 Hercules And The Captive Women