Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 Pilot The Green Slime
Film watched: The Green Slime
Left to Right; Crow, Joel, Beeper
The Segments:Segment 1
- Joel, calling to the audience, introduces himself, the Satellite of Love and the theater. He soon leaves to the movie.
- Crow and Beeper are introduced to the audience by Joel, sends a message to President Reagan and presents the Chiro Gyro. Crow soon joins Joel into the theater.
- Joel introduces and pets Gypsy, who acts like dog. Joel also mentions 25 other robots on the ship doing tasks and finding the Secret of Life. Beeper and Crow join Joel into the theater.
- Joel shows the vacuum flowers, but Gypsy gets sick from the sick flower. Gypsy and Crow join Joel into the theater.
- Because Gypsy got sick, conclude that The Virus is spreading around the ship. Beeper soon gets infected, and so does Joel.
- Everything goes back to normal on the Satellite. Crows goes meta and foams Joel.
This episode provides examples of:
- Ashcan Copy: This "episode" largely served as a trial run of the baseline concepts of the show. There is no riffing during the brief theater segments, as only a few moments are spent there before returning to the host segments.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Lots.
- Enforced Method Acting: Joel's obvious sleepiness, here the result of him and the rest of the crew working on no sleep after having built the robot props the night before, ended up as a regular aspect of his performance.
- Lost Episode: Thought to be, until Joel showed the entire pilot at a convention.
- The Pilot
- The Unintelligible: Rather than Tom Servo, Joel and Crow are joined by Beeper, who speaks in beeps that Crow has to translate. The reasons this was changed for the series should be pretty obvious.