"Every man before he dies shall see the Devil."Frank Black searches for an escaped convict he had helped to catch, believing that the criminal's new wife Lucy Butler may be helping him. However, Butler may instead be a much greater threat to Black and his family than he had anticipated..
—English Proverb, 1560
- Cat Scare: Dog Scare, actually.
- Eviler Than Thou: "You think I'm evil, Frank? You don't know what that is!"
- Finger in the Mail: Catherine finds a human kidney (belonging to Ephraim Fabricant) in her refrigerator.
- Killed Off for Real: Bletcher.
- Redemption Equals Death: What Lucy believes her husband Ephraim Fabricant plans to do by helping his sister.
- Skewed Priorities: Lucy would rather sue the police for invasion of privacy rather than help them find her husband.