Recap: Merlin S 02 E 06 Beauty And The Beast Part II
Beauty and the Beast Part II
Previously on Merlin: King Uther married a troll disguised as a beautiful woman. YeahÖHaving completed her marriage ceremony to King Uther, Lady Catrina relaxes in her chambers but tells her servant Jonas that they must dispatch of Merlin. Jonas leaves as Uther enters, looking ratherÖeager. He notices that Catrina is upset and asks whatís wrong. She tells him that Merlin stole her precious family seal from her chambers.A search for Merlin goes on throughout the castle and grounds, and Sir Leon arrives in Gaiusís quarters to arrest Merlin on the Kingís orders. Upstairs in Arthurís room, Merlin is doing his daily chores when Arthur bursts in and tells him that the guards are out to arrest him. Merlin tries to explain that heís being set up by a troll, but Arthur just tells him that the important thing is to evade capture. Merlin makes a bolt for it.In the council chamber, Arthur explains to Uther and Catrina that Merlin has escaped. Though Catrina accuses him of carelessness, Arthur keeps his cool, even when ordered to continue the search for Merlin.In the cave beneath the castle, Catrina tells Jonas that theyíre going to move onto the next phase of their plan: to turn Uther against his son. As a treat, Jonas presents her with a pile of horse dung.Out in the woods, the guards find a scarf and a campfire: evidence that Merlin has been there. In the lower town, Gaius tells Gwen not to worry about Merlin, though she fears that Uther wonít show him any mercy.Merlin is currently hiding in a barrel full of grain in the physicianís quarters, having left a false trail for the guards. Peering through a grate in Lady Catrinaís room, Merlin watches her take the potion that keeps her in human form, and hears as she helpfully exposits her plans to extort money from the kingdom.Arthur once again stands before his father in the council chamber, hearing his latest plans to raise the taxes. Arthur cites his own experience in the matter: that many of their people survive on the crops theyíre able to grow and could not afford extra taxes. Uther merely replies that those who do not pay it will be arrested and publicly flogged Ė and Arthur is to begin the collections at once.Merlin sneaks into Catrinaís chambers at night while Jonas is sleeping and steals the potion bottle from the cupboard. Merlinís plan is for Gaius to replicate the potion so that it looks and tastes the same, and then switch it for the real thing. Without the troll magic inside it, Catrina will revert to her true form.Warily, Catrina enters her chambers to find Uther waiting for her with a bouquet of flowers. She sidesteps his attempts at seduction by bringing his attention back to Arthur.
- Catrina: I'm sorry. I don't think I can keep this up any longer.Uther: Keep what up?Catrina: The lie. I can't keep pretending like this. I'm beginning to wonder if you're really the man I thought you were, the man I fell in love with. The man I married was firm, strong, in both mind and body.Uther: Trust me, I am all of those, and more.Catrina: I fear for Camelot. Arthur has not taken after his father. He is too weak to make the hard decisions.Uther: Then it's lucky I'm in such rude health.Catrina: Lucky, indeed, but what if some tragedy were to befall you?Uther: Let me worry about Arthur.Catrina: No, I can't. Your love for him has made you blind to his faults.Uther: I judge Arthur the same as the rest of my men. If he excels, he is rewarded. If he fails, he is punished.Catrina: Well, so long as you're sure of that.Uther: I am. Now let me take your mind off this. I promise, our first night as husband and wife will be one to remember.
- Arthur: We have their loyalty, their goodwill. Do not forsake that by making unreasonable demands.Catrina: Is it so unreasonable for a king to expect his subjects to obey him?Arthur: They'll starve!Uther: Nonsense. They've grown too soft. Remember, these are your subjects, not your friends.Arthur: And why can't they be both?Uther: Because we rule the people, not the other way around.Arthur: I think you're wrong.Uther: I beg your pardon?Arthur: I said you're wrong. Without the people there is no Camelot. We're as much their servant as they are ours.Catrina: You allow him to address you in this manner?Uther: No I do not. It will not be tolerated. You will take your men down into the town and go to every house collecting the payments I demand.Arthur: I will not.Uther: Get out of my sight.
- Arthur: You've always taught me to be true to my heart, and that's all I've ever tried to do. To be the man you wanted me to be. Someone you were proud to call your son.Uther: My decision is final.
- Arthur: She just ripped a door off its hinges. Doesn't that tell you something?Uther: Enough!Arthur: She's a troll! A giant...grey...Morgana: Stinking.Arthur: Stinking troll!Uther: Stop it! Haven't you hurt her feelings enough? Insult my wife again, it'll be the last thing you ever do.
- Uther: The next person to insult Queen Catrina will be charged with treason, and beheaded according to the laws of the land.
- Merlin: The dragon said he had to cry tears of true remorse to break the enchantment.Gaius: Well, that's not going to be easy. Uther's heart's closed to everyone.Merlin: Well, not everyone. Arthur.Gaius: Then there's only one course of action we can take. Uther must see his son die.
- Uther: I'd like to thank you for exposing this attack on our state. Once again, magic was used to strike at the heart of Camelot.Arthur: You mean, your heart. How many nights did you share a bed with a troll?Uther: Obviously I was under its spell. I did many things that I...regret.Arthur: Father, I really don't want to know the details.
- Arthur: Merlin. I want you to know that I never doubted you. Alright, maybe I did, but it's your own fault. You've got a suspicious look about you. Shifty. Like you've got something to hide.Merlin: I am an open book.Arthur: I don't believe that for a second. However, I do know that without your help, I'd still have a troll for a stepmother.
- Arthur: Well, thanks. Whoa. What are you doing?Merlin: I thought you were going for a hug.Arthur: No.Merlin: No.
- Black Comedy Rape: Uther goes to bed with his troll-wife whilst under a spell that makes him believe that he's in love with her, whilst she seems squeamish about having sex and tries to push him away. So basically...they rape each other?
- Bizarro Episode: To recap, in the middle of a season that also includes Merlin losing his first love, Arthur discovering the truth about his mother, and Morgana's Start of Darkness, these two utterly superfluous episodes are devoted to a troll successfully marrying King Uther and becoming Queen. There's Toilet Humour, Nausea Fuel and Squick, and after the episode ends, no one ever again mentions that a shit-eating troll had been the Queen of Camelot for an extended period of time.
- Elephant in the Living Room: Everyone plays the Straight Man to Uther, knowing full-well that he's married to a troll, but saying nothing.
- Faux Death: Arthur fakes his own death in order to break the spell over Uther. His father needed to cry true tears of remorse in order for his infatuation with Catrina to end.
- Healing Potion: What Merlin has to give to Arthur to end his Faux Death.
- Real Men Hate Affection: No Merlin, Arthur wasn't going for a hug.
- Tears of Remorse: Uther must cry these in order to break the love spell upon him. Gaius and Merlin make this happen by pretending that Arthur is dead.
- The Unhug
- What Happened to the Mouse?: After witnessing Catrina revert back into her troll-form, Morgana disappears from the episode entirely.