Recap / M*A*S*H S1 E7: Bananas, Crackers and Nuts
Hawkeye and Trapper are stressed out from the non-stop periods of working in the operating room, to the point that they actually start fighting each other. Trapper recommends that they should get a small break and the go to ask Colonel Blake to apply for permission. Henry, leaving for the weekend, turns them down. Knowing that with Frank temporarily in charge that he and Trapper will never get their break, Hawkeye is inspired by his argument with Henry to present himself as being so insane that only time away from the 4077 can cure. After an altercation in the mess tent, Frank believes it's the right thing to do, and it looks like Hawkeye and Trapper are set for their holiday.
Until Major Houlihan recommends bringing in a professional psychiatrist to examine Hawkeye.
Attention, all personnel! Be aware of the following tropes as symptoms of insanity:
- Big Damn Heroes: Played to comedic effect when Hawkeye and Trapper salute Frank as he goes in to Margaret's tent to find out why she's screaming and yelling for help.
- Bittersweet Ending: The psychiatrist is driven out of the camp, so Hawkeye does not get carted off to the nuthouse. Hawkeye and Trapper are about to go on the now seven days of R&R they wanted. Then, contrary to Radar's earlier prediction that there would be no fighting in the area for about a week, choppers laden with patients arrive and Hawkeye and Trapper have to go back to work.
- The Chessmaster: Hawkeye again proves his excellence in serving as this trope.
- He puts on an elaborate scheme to display himself as losing touch with reality and will continue to do so if he doesn't get some time off. It is a really successful gambit, until Margaret Houlihan outmanoeuvres him at the last minute.
- He is more successful in his game against the psychiatrist.
- Depraved Homosexual: Hawkeye paints himself as this to Captain Shermann. It works out the wrong way.
- Frame-Up: Hawkeye cooks up one to trap Captain Shermann.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Once More, Frank shows shades of jealousy when he learns of someone else competing for Margaret's romantic attentions.
- Love Makes You Crazy: Captain Shermann, the visiting psychiatrist, has been head over heels infatuated with Major Houlihan for years. Hawkeye uses this to his advantage when Shermann is going to have him thrown in the loony bin.
- Missing Time: Played For Laughs by Trapper at the beginning of the episode.
- Noodle Incident: In an attempt to prove to Captain Shermann that Hawkeye's not crazy and instead pulling a fast one, he recounts two pranks that Hawkeye pulled on Frank. It only makes things worse, but it's still hilarious.
Henry: So, Frank, why don't you tell us about the time that, when you were asleep, Pierce tied your big toes to the bed frame and then yelled "Fire"?
Frank: Oh, I'd rather not, sir.
Henry: Well, then tell him about the time he sedated you and then set both your arms and legs in plaster and hung you from the ceiling in traction ropes.
Henry starts laughing
Henry: And- And how when you came to, you thought- you thought you had four broken limbs. Then Pierce came in, you see, and cut him down. Frank, I tell you, I will never forget the terror in your eyes. That look just before you hit the bed! Do you remember that one, Frank?
Frank (distastefully): I don't think I'll ever forget it, sir.
- Obfuscating Insanity: No, it's not Klinger. It's Hawkeye, and he does it a little too well.
- Title Drop: Towards the end of the episode.
Trapper: I'll pack you some bananas.
Hawkeye: And I'll get you some crackers and nuts.