Lupin Will Fetch a High Pricenote
, with the English title of The Island of Dr. Derange
The episode opens with a chained, confused Lupin who wonders about his whereabouts. Suddenly, the light is turned on and is revealed that Lupin is being sold in an auction for criminals organized by the Wanted Club, a club of bounty hunter women who specialize in taking down criminals. Several people start making offers for Lupin. Eventually after a heated series of excalating offers between an anonymous, unseen man and who appears to be a gangster leader, Lupin is bought by the former.
Later, the "gangster boss" wanders near the villa where Lupin's hold, but the leader of the Wanted Club, Miss Homicide unmask him as Zenigata, who infiltrated the auction in order to buy and arrest Lupin. He tries to crash in the house but gets literally kicked out by two bodyguards girls. Inside the house, Lupin compliments the women and talks about their amazon-like organization and goals, with the leader stating that their next target will be Jigen. In fact, the leader herself goes after him. Even if the gunslinger is better than her, he's backstabbed and captured.
Inside his cell, Lupin is visited by his buyer, who claims that he needs Lupin's genius and skills. Then he knocks him out with a gas coming out of his cane's handle. Some time later, Lupin awakens on a shore in the middle of nowhere, with only crabs and seagulls around. Suddenly he hears a women's scream and jump to her help, finding a distressed Fujiko in a cavern attacked by two brutes. Lupin manages to take care of them and learns that Fujiko too was caught by the Wanted Club and bought by the mysterious man. However, the two goons attack them once more but the voice of their capturer scolds them for failing. The two brutes then explode, revealing themselves as robots.
Outside of the cave, Lupin and Fujiko come to the conclusion that they've been captured by Dr. Derange, a mad scientist specialized in high-level robots. Soon, more robots come after them, but Lupin manages to steal a gatling gun from one of them and use it to take down the other robots. However, as they rest in a cave, Fujiko is kidnapped while Derange send DX, a clone of Jigen armed with steel wire, to deal with Lupin. Despite being initially fooled by the copycat, Lupin manage to best the clone and destroy it. Desperate, he starts yelling at Derange, claiming that he found out that the whole island is actually a holographic illusion, as the seagulls and the crabs are robots too, and even the tides and the fogs are artificial. The Doctor replies that he wants to turn Lupin in one of his robots because of his skills, and that both the real Jigen and Fujiko are imprisoned on the island. Lupin however claims to know where they are and hide briefly behind a cliff where the doc can't see him. Then he apparently throws himself from the cliff. Believing him dead, Derange turns off his monitor and wonders about what he could do now...
Doing so, he fails to notice a naked but unharmed Lupin along with Jigen and Fujiko behind him, as the one seen onscreen was just a bundle of wood in his clothes. Using the doctor's cane, Lupin shoots Derange in the head, seemingly killing him.... only for him to wake up on the shore, attacked and gunned down by his own robots. Meanwhile, as his mansion burns, our three heroes leave the place by car. Fujiko wonders about the Wanted Club, but Lupin reassures her. In fact, as they speak Zenigata is arresting them, though getting punched again by the same bodyguards as before.
This Episode contains examples of:
- Absentee Actor: Goemon managed to escape the Wanted Club, apparently.
- Amazon Brigade: The Wanted Club organization is made entirely of women, and judging from what the leader's says, they're men-haters too. Similar to the Bloody Angels from the Angels' Tactics OVA.
- Attack Its Weak Point: The robot's chest contain their vital parts.
- Bounty Hunter: The Wanted Club focuses on hunting down criminals and auction them.
- Butt Monkey: Zenigata, who has his ass kicked around by the two bodyguards even when said ladies are handcuffed.
- Creepy Twins: Homicide's bodyguards may be sisters, or something else.
- Death Dealer: Miss Homicide's playing cards are veeery sharp.
- Distressed Damsel: Fujiko, for most of the episode.
- Driven to Suicide: Lupin actually fakes his suicide to defeat the villain.
- Evil Knockoff: DX, a robot with the appearence of Jigen.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Dr. Derange is shoot with his own cane and then chased and gunned down by his own creations.
- In the Back: How Miss Homicide takes down Jigen when the latter refuses to hurt a woman.
- Lotus-Eater Machine: The Island is actually a sort of giant, technological induced hallucination.
- Mind Screw: The second part of this episode is a bit weird...
- Ridiculously Human Robots: Dr Derange's creations.
- Ship Tease/Les Yay: The two bodyguards who kick Zenigata out. After doing so they give each other a glance and then go back, nearly embracing each other's hip as they walk together. Given that theirs' a women-only organization, it was likely intentional.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Averted. Most of the episode is focused on Derange, but in the end, Fujiko remembers the Wanted Club, who were actually arrested by Zenigata.