Recap / Lost S 01 E 01 Pilot Part 1
Season 1, Episode 1
Pilot, part 1
wakes up in the jungle, battered and bruised, not knowing where he is. After looking around for a bit and seeing a dog
he finds a bottle of Vodka in his shirt pocket. He stands up, and runs through the Jungle until he comes to the beach.
On the beach he sees the wreck of an airplane, witnessing a Red Shirt
suffering from a Turbine Blender
, he starts running around and giving medical help to people around him, offering aid to Claire
and another Red Shirt
Afterwards Jack goes to be alone to heal himself, and meets Kate Austen
. He asks her for assistance with sewing his injuries and she obliges.
Hours later, while Jack is treating another injured passenger, Michael Dawson and his son Walt discuss what to do with the bodies. Sayid
organizes a Cleanup crew to get rid of the bodies and give them the Due to the Dead
finds food (how appropriate) and gives it out to the other survivors, but Shannon
refuses to eat until rescue arrives, mach to the chargin of her brother Boone.
At night a loud roaring
is heard, and trees are crushed in the jungle.
At morning Jack
set out on a Quest
to find the cockpit of their plane and send out a distress signal. When they find it and climb into it, Charlie dissapears into the bathroom, while Kate and Jake find
Matt Parkman the Pilot
. He tells them that the plane lost radio contact early in the crisis and that it is nowhere near the place where people are looking for it.
Meanwhile, on the beach Jin
tells his wife Sun
in Korean that she should stay near him. Locke
is sitting outside in the rain.
Meanwhile in the jungle: the noise from yesterday returns, snuffs the Pilot, and scares off the main cast; after they reunite they find the Pilot dead and mutilated.
Tropes in this episode include:
- After-Action Patch-Up: Kate patching up Jack's back.
- Censorship by Spelling: A failed attempt of this. The fat guy spells out B-O-D-Y-S in order to not disturb the kid but the kid corrects him, saying it's actually B-O-D-I-E-S.
- Curiosity Killed the Cast: The surviving pilot peeks out of the open front window to get a better look at the creature lurking around. Of course his curiosity pays off and he gets pulled out and killed.
- Dramatic Slip: Charlie slips over a twine and falls when they are running from the monster. Jack goes back to help him up.
- Eye Open: The first shot is a close-up on Jack opening his eyes.
- Help, I'm Stuck!: One of the surviving passengers is stuck under debris and cries out for help.
- Inciting Incident: The plane crash. While future episodes will delve into the mountains and mountains of backstory on the characters and the setting, the arrival of Oceanic 815 kicks off the story of Lost proper.
- Peek-A-Boo Corpse: The dead pilot falling out of the cockpit when they open the door.
- Snipe Hunt: Go get some pens.
- Stuff Blowing Up: The turbine and other parts of the aircraft explode at some point for effect.
- Turbine Blender: One of the passengers is sucked into the turbine which then explodes.
- When It Rains, It Pours: The rain comes out of nowhere and goes the same way.