Recap / Law And Order S 17 E 10 Corner Office
The detectives connect the murder of a high-profile attorney, Charles Dillon, to his company's involvement in a wiretapping scandal. This led to a huge federal investigation where the CEO, Samantha Weaver, set up Dillon to take the fall. It appears he was killed to prevent him from testifying, but then Green and Cassady learn that Dillon had been seen with an escort named Julia Veloso on the night of his death. She is arrested. However, surveillance tapes reveal she is actually Weaver's
girlfriend. Dillon threatened to expose their relationship to the press, and hand over Weaver to the FBI, unless she gave in to his demands for money. Evidence shows Weaver owned the murder weapon and she is charged.
Julia testifies that Weaver told her to kill Dillon. Weaver denies it and says she resolves problems diplomatically; as a female CEO in a male-dominated field, she can't be seen to be emotional or vindictive. McCoy challenges this by calling several former employees as witnesses, all of whom Weaver fired or hounded out of jobs because they displeased her in some way. Weaver accuses McCoy of persecuting her for being a woman in a position of power, and he says this isn't true; he wants to bring her to justice because she killed to defend that power. The jury convicts.
This episode contains examples of:
- Bad Boss: Weaver, according to her employees.
- Blackmail: Dillon was killed because he tried to blackmail Weaver into signing over a $10 million severance package.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Weaver and Dillon.
- Depraved Bisexual: Julia, who's incredibly manipulative, uses an endless string of lovers for their money, and casually killed Dillon to keep the money coming in from her current girlfriend. She even tries to seduce Connie whilst being questioned.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot: Dillon seems to have thought so.
- Meal Ticket: Julia's had a number of them, including Weaver.
- Never a Self-Made Woman: Completely averted with Weaver, who became CEO of a Fortune 500 company at age 35 entirely through her own effort.
- Psycho Lesbian: Samantha Weaver