Recap / Justice League Unlimited S 3 E 12 Alive
Luthor and the Secret Society refit their headquarters and fly into deep space in a last-ditch attempt to reanimate Brainiac. En route, Tala frees Grodd, who leads a mutiny of other disaffected villains against Luthor and his supporters.
This episode includes examples of:
- Alas, Poor Villain: Gorilla Grodd and Tala both die a Cruel and Unusual Death. The rest of Grodd's supporters (other than Killer Frost) might also count given their implied death.
- Back from the Dead: Darkseid.
- Bad Boss: Luthor as always.
- Came Back Strong: Darkseid comes back with a new outfit and, apparently, teleportation. Word of God says that his redesign is due to him being fused with non-sentient remnants of Brainiac's technology.
- Card-Carrying Villain: Tala realizes that Luthor was always going to sacrifice her, even before she turned on him.
Luthor: I'm a sick person, too.
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: Several villains change sides in the Civil War several times.
- Crazy-Prepared: Luthor has ways to protect himself from all the most dangerous Society members. This includes a magic talisman for Tala (hugely expensive, according to him) and a way to deflect Grodd's telepathy back onto him.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: Parasite, one of Superman's main rogues is implied to be killed offscreen in the ship explosion.
- Dying Curse: Tala invokes this trope in a different sense by tampering with the process and bringing back Darkseid instead as a final middle finger to Lex.
- Enemy Civil War: The bulk of the episode is spent on one between Team Luthor and Team Grodd. We also get a glimpse of the one on Apokolips...which ends the second Darkseid shows up. Unlike several other episodes with this trope, it does not actually feature the heroes until the very end.
- Enemy Mine: The episode ends with Lex and the Society forced to help the Justice League defend Earth from invasion by Apokolips.
- Evil Power Vacuum: As soon as Darkseid returns to reclaim his post as the ruler of Apokolips, the two factions that started fighting for control when he left surrender to him.
- Evil vs. Evil: the episode.
- Exact Words: Poor Tala
- Famous Last Words: Gorilla Grodd: "You twisted pink rabble of a hominid, I'm not done with you! I'll get out of this and when I do...!"
- Faux Affably Evil: Luthor as always.
- He's Back: Darkseid IS once more! And now even more powerful than before!
- Karma Houdini: Killer Frost takes part in the mutiny against Luthor but when given a chance to save herself she does... by freezing her fellow mutineers. Even the villains on Luthor's side were shocked at the ease she did this.
- Kill It with Ice: Killer Frost's specialty.
- Killed Off for Real: Gorilla Grodd, Tala, quite possibly Parasite, and a host of other Legionnaires.
- Living Battery: Luthor uses Tala as one of these to revive Brainiac.
- Mass "Oh, Crap!": The entire Society's reaction when they see who they've really brought back.
- Mercy Kill: For a certain definition of "mercy" - Darkseid "rewards" the Society for reviving him by blowing up their ship, a much quicker fate than the one he has planned for Earth.
- Mythology Gag:
- Among the villains that side with Luthor are Bizarro, Sinestro, Toyman, Giganta, Cheetah—all of whom were in the Legion of Doom in Challenge of the Superfriends.
- Also from Challenge, Luthor modifies the Legion's domed base with rockets so it can fly just like in the earlier cartoon.
- Red Shirt Army: Grodd's forces.
- Rewarded as a Traitor Deserves: Tala receives a Cruel and Unusual Death. Subverted because she'd receive it even if she didn't betray Luthor.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Darkseid makes it clear his desire for this precedes even getting the Anti-Life Equation.
"Superman must suffer for killing me. His adopted world will die screaming. Only then will I seek the ultimate end."
- The Starscream: Tala.
- Thrown Out the Airlock: Gorilla Grodd.
Luthor: Goodbye, Grodd. It could have gone the other way.
Grodd: It really could have, couldn't it?
Luthor: No; but why speak ill of the dead? (opens airlock)
- Took a Level in Badass: Toyman.
- Understatement: The cliffhanger shows Luthor and what remains of the Society appearing at the footsteps of the Metro Tower, telling Superman...
"We have a little problem."
- Villain Episode: The majority of the episode is spent on Luthor and Grodd's civil war.
- Wham Shot: Smoke clearing to reveal Darkseid was revived rather than Brainiac, followed by Mass "Oh, Crap!".
- Woman Scorned:
- Tala. She instigates the insurgence against Lex.
- Giganta too towards Grodd for frying her brain in "To Another Shore".
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Tala realizes Lex was planning on using her to revive Brainiac all along, whether or not she stayed loyal to him, even though it would kill her. When it finally happens, Tala tampers with the process in a final act of defiance by reviving Darkseid instead. The evil alien invokes this trope by killing almost all of the remaining rogues for their efforts.
- You Will Be Spared: "Though your world will suffer slowly, I grant you a quick death."