Recap / Justice League Unlimited S 1 E 11 Wake The Dead
A group of college students accidentally bring Solomon Grundy back to life, who then rampages through the city. Superman, Green Lantern, and Vixen go off to stop him. They get backup in the form of Dr. Fate, Aquaman, Amazo, and a surprise appearance from Shayera, who may be the only one who can stop the super zombie.
This episode includes examples of:
- Attack Backfire: For the first (and only) time, A.M.A.Z.O. is unable to take care of the situation. In fact, his attacks only makes Grundy stronger and even hurt him.
- The Bus Came Back: Shayera returns to action since the end of season 2.
- Call Back: Superman's belief in second chances is a subtle reminder of how his credibility was tarnished after Darkseid brainwashed him and how he eventually regained the world's trust.
- Deus Exit Machina: AMAZO teleports away due to Grundy being able to absorb his power and grow stronger.
- Easily Forgiven: The Leaguers welcome Shayera back into the fold without a second thought.
Superman: I believe in second chances, I believe in redemption, but mostly, I believe in my friends.
- Hurl It into the Sun: A.M.A.Z.O. tries to defeat Grundy by teleporting him into the Sun, but it doesn't work.
- I'm Standing Right Here:
Aquaman: "Such tintilating reparte. I get better conversation from the android."
AMAZO: "... You ARE aware I'm in the room?"
- No One Could Survive That!: Vixen and Aquaman crush Grundy under a giant statue, but Superman doesn't believe for a second that would be enough to stop him. Vixen claims there's no way he could've taken that and live, just before Grundy pops out and manhandles her.
- Our Zombies Are Different: Grundy is a super-powered zombie capable of shrugging off hits from Superman.
- The Reveal: "Starcrossed" ended without revealing how the League voted. In this episode, Green Lantern says Shayera was never kicked out—explaining that he recused himself and that Superman broke the tie.
- Shoot the Dog: Shayera was forced to put Grundy out of his misery.
- The Unintelligible: Grundy only grunts and screams. This was actually always intended before the writers knew that they wouldn't be able to record Mark Hamill.
- What the Hell, Townspeople?: After ending Grundy and saving the city, the city citizens throw angry remarks at Shayera as they have not forgiven or forgotten the Thanagarian takeover incident she was involved in back in Starcrossed.