Recap: Justice League S 2 E24- 26 Starcrossed
After Earth is attacked by a Gordanian battleship, the Justice League is aided by an army of hawkmen from Hawkgirl's home planet of Thanagar. The Thanagarians offer to help Earth build a shield to defend against the Gordanians, but Batman discovers that this is just a ruse. Hawkgirl finds herself torn between her allegiance to Thanagar and her commitment to the League, as well as between her betrothal to the Thanagarian commander Hro Talak and her deep budding romantic love for Green Lantern, John Stewart.
- Alien Invasion
- Alien Autopsy: Batman's analysis on a dead Gordanian taken from the Gordanian ship and finding out that they were long dead before the ship appeared on Earth, which lead to suspicions on the Thanagarians' true motives.
- Against the Setting Sun: Green Lantern and Hawkgirl say their goodbyes against such a backdrop, complete with Hawkgirl flying towards the horizon.
- Bat Scare: When the Thanagarians invade the Batcave, Batman sets this trope on them.
- Benevolent Alien Invasion: The Thanagarians pretended to be a Benevolent Alien Invasion to cover their true purpose, but Batman exposed them in short order.
- Big Bad: General Talak
- Big Badass Battle Sequence: The fight between the League and thousands of fighters of the Thanagarian Expeditionary Force.
- Bittersweet Ending: Earth is saved from destruction... at the cost of their home base, one of their members leaving (breaking up the series' main relationship), and an untold amount of the Thanagarians threatening the planet. Sweetened a bit by its continuation, Justice League Unlimited, which shows that things can be rebuilt, but even then there's a note of bitterness lingering throughout the series.
- Captain Obvious: Flash after seeing the stuffed T-Rex in the Batcave:
Flash: "That's a giant dinosaur!"
Alfred: "And here I thought Batman was the detective."
- Catch a Falling Star: Batman is pulled out of the collapsing wreckage of the Watchtower by Superman seconds before impact.
- Colony Drop: The Watchtower.
- Deep Cover Agent: Hawkgirl. Though she justified her actions because she thought she was helping Earth, but defected when she learned that Earth would be destroyed in the process.
- The End of the World as We Know It: The hyperspace bypass that will destroy the Earth.
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!: Green Lantern's fight with Talak.
Hro Talak: "I've beaten you, little man. Any last words?"
Green Lantern: "Yeah. You can kiss my axe."
- I Like Those Odds: Superman, Wonder Woman and Green Lantern are heading straight for the Thanagarian mothership (and the dozens of smaller ships around it).
Wonder Woman: Pretty bad odds.
Superman: Yeah, they don't stand a chance.
- It's Raining Men: The Thanagar army descending from the sky. Considering they are all Winged Humanoids, it produces a surprisingly biblical image.
- Reentry Scare
- Secret Identity: Taken for a spin. Pursued by the conquering Thanagarians, the Justice League members decide the safest way to move is in their civilian identities (for the members who have them). The Flash balks at the idea, since it's, you know, his secret identity, and it's not like he doesn't trust the others, but... Impatient, Batman simply rattles off everyone's real name, finishing with his own.
- Shoot the Dog: Hawkgirl helps the Thanagarian invasion force defeat the League and conquer the Earth, because she believed the occupation of Earth was necessary to defeat the Gordanians, which was in the best interests of both her home planet Thanagar and Earth. (Though she draws the line at destroying Earth to save Thanagar, and she turns on her brethren upon discovering that they intend to do exactly that.)
- Someone Has to Die: Batman realize that dropping the Watchtower on the Thanagarian's hyperspace bypass require manual steering, which the station would miss the target. Instead of telling this to Flash and J'onn, he jettisons them in an escape pod and takes over the controls himself (Fridge Brilliance: he is the creator of the Watchtower). He doesn't die, as he is bailed out by Superman just moments before the impact.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: The fate of the relationship of the Green Lantern and Hawkgirl. Though really, it could have been called "Planetcrossed" just as easily.
- Washington D.C. Invasion: The beginning of the episode where the League were staking out at a world conference held in Washington in anticipation of a terrorist incident, but only to be interrupted by a Gordanian ship.
- Wham Episode
- What Does This Button Do?: Flash does this to said button in the cockpit of a Thanagarian gunship... and blows a giant hole in the wall of Wayne Manor, almost killing Alfred. Batman immediately rounds on him, saying "THAT'S. NOT. HELPING."
- You're Nothing Without Your Phlebotinum: General Talak comments that Green Lantern is "nothing without his toy", referring to his power ring. When the two later fight, and Talak destroys said doodad, Green Lantern still defeats him by tricking him into slamming his axe into a piece of machinery, electrocuting him into unconsciousness.