Doctor Fate and Aquaman rescue Solomon Grundy, intent on using him to help battle an ancient evil.
- Broke Your Arm Punching Out Cthulhu: The heroes do end up doing by killing Ichthultu... but Solomon Grundy dies in the process.
- Casting Gag: Rob Zombie voicing the evil god Ichthultu.
- Defiant to the End: Hawkgirl to Ichthultu.
- Eldritch Abomination: Ichthultu.
- Fire-Forged Friends: Solomon Grundy fights against the Eldritch Abominations alongside the League, and strikes up a friendship with Hawkgirl in particular. He gets mortally wounded fighting Ichthultu and indirectly rescuing Hawkgirl. She comforted him in his final moments. Hawkgirl still considers him a friend in the much later episode "Wake the Dead".
Solomon Grundy: Bird-nose help Grundy? But Bird-nose and her friends hate Grundy.
Hawkgirl: Grundy help Bird-nose, Bird-nose help Grundy, okay? Excuse me, Hawkgirl smash.
- Nay-Theist: Hawkgirl, and Thanagarians in general, renounced Ichthultu and no longer bow down to any higher power. She believes in Ichthultu, though—enough to smash his brain in with her energy mace.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Superman, Wonder Woman, and Hawkgirl find Dr. Fate and Aquaman seemingly torturing Solomon Grundy. Fate doesn't even try to explain what he's doing, so the Leaguers stop him by roundly kicking his and his friends' butts. At which point Ichthultu rips a hole between dimensions and starts wiggling its tentacles at the League. Quoth Dr. Fate: "I was trying to prevent that."
- Nightmare Fuel: Being an homage to the Cthulhu Mythos, "The Terror Beyond" is stuffed to the gills with it.
- Unwanted Revival: Solomon Grundy, upon learning his own origin and the fact that he has no soul, wants nothing more than to get his soul back. It was implied that his happened after he died fighting Ichthultu. However, he is later by Chaos Magic in "Wake the Dead", which he's really ticked off.
- Writing Around Trademarks: Interestingly when Justice League writers created Ichthultu, they only did this because they were unaware that Cthulhu was a Public Domain Character.