Recap / Glee S 2 E 14 Blame It On The Alcohol
Rachel has started her songwriting process for regionals. She writes a song called "My Headband", which Finn tells her is bad because it lacks emotion note
Rachel decides to hold a party at her house while her dads are gone, and gets Puck to supply wine coolers. Initially the party sucks as badly as "My Headband", but once Puck gets into Rachel's dads' liquor cabinet the party gets crazy fast. Everyone gets drunk except for Finn (the designated driver) and Kurt (who can't hold his liquor)
. After Rachel spends a large chunk of the night clinging to Finn, he tells her that what she's doing isn't cute, and then she starts a game of spin the bottle. She ends up kissing Blaine after a few rounds, and they both really like it, much to Kurt's dismay.
Monday hits, and the Glee gang are still ridiculously hung over. Artie brings Bloody Marys to help cure their hangovers, and soon they all start drinking regularly. Rachel drunk dials Blaine and asks him out. Blaine says yes, which Kurt is also not happy about, and then Blaine tells Kurt he might be confused about his sexuality, which Kurt is very much not happy about. Did we mention that Kurt has major problems with the whole Rachel/Blaine thing
Meanwhile, off in adult world, Bieste notices that Will has been really depressed lately. (S)he takes him out drinking, and he goes back home and drunk dials Emma.
Kurt helps Rachel clean up after the party after her date with Blaine. Kurt is kind of suspicious when Rachel mentions that they saw Love Story
and didn't kiss at all. Rachel seems decided to prove to Kurt that it wasn't just the beer goggles that made Blaine into her. She kisses Blaine when Kurt gets coffee with him, only for him to find that he is "100% gay". Rachel, however, is surprisingly happy because this is "songwriting gold".
the d plot
the main plot of the episode comes into play. Figgins had asked the glee club to perform at the anti alcohol assembly, and they decide to perform "Tik Tok" by
. Rachel gives them a weird mixture of things she founds in her dads' liquor cabinet and cough syrup. The number goes pretty well until Brittany pukes all over Rachel towards the end of the song. Then everyone starts throwing up. Schue is convinced that they are going to get in trouble for performing under the influence. However, Figgins sees the performance as a warning about the less glamourous side of alcohol and gives out fro-yo coupons. Sue also gets in on the anti-alcohol act with a PA message. Remember when Will drunk dialed Emma? Yeah, turns out he drunk dialed Sue, who played this message on the PA.
After both the club's squicktastic performance and Schue's public embarassment, Will decides to make the club sign a pledge saying that they won't drink until after nationals.
Songs from this episode
- "My Headband", an original song performed by Rachel
- "Don't You Want Me" by The Human League, performed by Rachel and Blaine
- "Blame it" by Jamie Foxx, performed by Artie and the New Directions
- "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer" by George Thorogood, performed by Will and Coach Bieste
- "Tik Tok" by Kesha, performed by Brittany
Tropes in this episode
- Broken Aesop: Where do we even begin? Well, how about THEY ARE TEENAGERS! IT IS ILLEGAL! THERE ARE TONS OF OTHER PROBLEMS WITH TEENAGE DRINKING BESIDES CAR ACCIDENTS AND ALCOHOL POISONING!
- Call Back: in Brittany/Britney, Brittany mentioned that she wanted to do a Ke$ha song. She sings "TiK ToK" in this episode
- Cool Shades: Nearly all of New Directions after Rachel's party.
- Crack Pairing: Blaine + Rachel just to add to the pile.
- Drunken Song: Nearly all the songs in the episode (since the characters were intoxicated a good amount of the time), but most prominently "Don't You Want Me" and "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer."
- Everybody Must Get Stoned: And how!
- Hilarious in Hindsight: During a game of "Spin The Bottle", Brittany and Sam make out before Santana breaks them up saying "no mi gusta". Flash forward a season and half later and the two start dating, leading Brittana fans (and most Gleeks in general) to say the same thing.
- Hysterical Woman: Santana (the weepy kind) and Tina and Mercedes (the happy kind).
- Incompatible Orientation: Rachel and Blaine.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Blaine would say "bi", but doesn't want to offend Kurt.
- Kissing Under the Influence: Brittany with both Sam and Artie; as well as Rachel and Blaine.