Recap / Glee S 1 E 1 Pilot
SummarySpanish teacher Will Schuester
decides to take over the Glee club after the former coach has *ahem* an "incident" with student Hank Saunders
and is subsequently fired. Will has auditions for the Glee Club, which he renames New Directions, and ends up getting five students: Mercedes Jones, Kurt Hummel, Tina Cohen-Chang
, Rachel Berry
and Artie Abrams
. They aren't the most popular of kids
, and a Glee club doesn't exactly work with five people, so Will goes recruiting. After getting a bit of advice, he talks to the football team
, but no one signs up. Then Will overhears Finn Hudson
singing in the shower
, and uses some pot the old glee club coach gave him to blackmail Finn into joining the Glee club. After a few rehearsals with the newest member, Will decides to take the club on a field trip to see another show choir perform. Finn lies to the football team to miss practice so he can go.
They see the other show choir, Vocal Adrenaline, perform and are (understandably) freaked out. As New Directions leaves the performance, Finn gets caught by his fellow football players and decides to quit the club. As his "Welcome back present" they trap Artie in a port-a-pottie
and try to tip it. Finn chooses to free Artie and return to Glee Club. They are skeptical of Finn's return but give him a chance anyway, and he leads them to put together an epic
version of "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey (which became the show's Signature Song
). Slightly before that, Will's slightly unhinged
wife, Terri, finds out she's pregnant and suggests that Will get a better paying job so that he can take care of his family. Will almost quits his job at McKinley to become an accountant, but Emma Pillsbury
, the guidance counselor talks him out of it, and seeing the Glee club perform is what finally convinces him to stay.
Songs from the episode
- "Where is love" from Oliver, performed by Sandy Ryerson and Hank Saunders.
- "Respect" by Aretha Franklin, performed by Mercedes Jones
- "Mr. Cellophane" from Chicago, performed by Kurt Hummel
- "I Kissed a Girl" by Katy Perry, performed by Tina Cohen-Chang
- "On My Own" from Les Misérables, performed by Rachel Berry.
- "Sit Down, You're Rocking the Boat" from Guys and Dolls, performed by Artie Abrams and New Directions
- "Can't Fight This Feeling" by REO Speedwagon, performed by Finn Hudson
- "You're the One that I Want" from Grease, performed by Finn Hudson, Rachel Berry, and New Directions
- "Rehab" by Amy Winehouse, performed by Vocal Adrenaline
- "Leaving on a Jet Plane" by Peter, Paul, and Mary, performed by Will Schuester note .
- "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey, performed by Rachel Berry, Finn Hudson, and New Directions.
This Episode contains examples of