Recap / Futurama S 1 E 8 A Big Piece Of Garbage
A giant asteroid composed entirely of garbage is hurtling towards Earth, and will land on New New York City! The Planet Express crew is roped into saving the day, and into the rivalry between Professor Farnsworth and Dr. Wernstrom.
- 6 Is 9: The plan to blow up the garbage asteroid fails because Prof. Farnsworth put the detonator display upside down, so the bomb was set to 52 seconds instead of 25 minutes.
- Answer Cut: Wernstrom points out that they will never find a crew willing to take on a mission so suicidally dangerous. Then the camera pans over to the our heroes.
- But Wait, There's More!: The moderator of the science contest drops this line.
- The B Grade: Farnsworth's and Wernstrom's feud began when Farnsworth gave Wernstrom an A- on a test. Wernstrom gets even by giving Farnsworth "the lowest grade imaginable: an A-minus-minus!"
- Distress Call: They receive one from a crew from Neptune.
- Exposition Diagram: The professor has a hologram demonstrating the garbage ball hitting earth.
- If My Calculations Are Correct: Farnsworth drops this line when calculating the trajectory of the anti-garbage ball.
- The Internet Is for Porn: After seeing a documentary downloaded for the internet:
Fry: You got that on the Internet? In my day the Internet was only used for pornography.
Professor Farnsworth: Actually, that's still true.
Woman in video: Now that the, uh, garbage is in space, doctor, perhaps you can help me with my sexual inhibitions.
Man in video: With gusto. (they begin to undress)
- Green Aesop: Spoofed. Garbage saves the day.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Wernstrom mocks Farnsworth's plans, and when given authority by the Mayor, uses it solely to better himself rather than save New New York. At the end, his Academy of Inventors award is given to Farnsworth, "after it became apparent that [Wernstrom] was a jackass.", as the Mayor puts it.
- Literal-Minded: When Bender finds a talking Bart Simpson doll among the garbage, it says "Eat my shorts!". Bender readily does so.
- Made Myself Sad: As Farnsworth is set to launch the second ball of garbage, he notes that if his calculations are correct, the second ball of garbage should knock the first into the sun. Wernstrom then cuts in to declare that "if my calculations are correct, we're all going to die horribly!" and laughs, only to then abruptly shut up when he realizes what he just said and what that means for him.
- Power Walk: The Armageddonnote example is parodied.
- Race Against the Clock: The crew has 72 hours until the garbage ball hits New New York.
- Someone Else's Problem: After getting rid of the garbage asteroid with another one, worries that the second one might come back are left to the 41st century's people.
- Spinning Newspaper: Parodied as countless newspapers are printed and immediately tossed upon the streets to make garbage.
- Start X to Stop X: The first ball of garbage gets stopped by another ball of garbage, which will surely return to Earth by the 41st century.
- Uranus Is Showing: The Professor tells Fry that the planet was renamed to end that stupid joke once and for all- to Urectum.
- Whole Plot Reference: To Armageddon, especially the middle act.
- Yet Another Baby Panda: The TV news report about Mittens the kitten instead of more pressing issues.