A giant asteroid, composed entirely of garbage, is hurtling towards Earth, and will land on New New York City! The Planet Express crew is roped into saving the day, and into the rivalry between Professor Farnsworth and Dr. Wernstrom.
- The B Grade: Farnsworth's and Wernstrom's feud began when Farnsworth gave Wernstrom an A- on a test. Wernstrom gets even by giving Farnsworth "the lowest grade imaginable: an A-minus-minus!"
- Edited for Syndication: When this episode aired on Comedy Central, the Cold Open where Fry tests out the Professor's Death Clock and Bender shouts, "Dibs on his CD player!" after Fry is revealed that he doesn't have long to live was re-edited so that way it comes on after the opening sequence rather than before it.
- Had the Silly Thing in Reverse: The plan to blow up the garbage asteroid fails because Prof. Farnsworth put the detonator display upside down, so the bomb was set to 52 seconds instead of 25 minutes.
- The Internet Is for Porn: After seeing a documentary downloaded for the internet:
Fry: You got that on the Internet? In my day the Internet was only used for pornography.
Professor Farnsworth: Actually, that's still true.
Woman in video: Now that the, uh, garbage is in space, doctor, perhaps you can help me with my sexual inhibitions.
Man in video: With gusto.
- Literal-Minded: When Bender finds a Bart Simpson doll among the garbage, and when it says, "Eat my shorts!" he readily does so.
- Made Myself Sad: As Farnsworth is set to launch the second ball of garbage, Wernstrom declares that "according to my calculations, we're all going to die horribly!" and laughs, which then turns to crying when he realizes what he just said.
- Power Walk: The Armageddonnote example is parodied.
- Someone Else's Problem: After getting rid of the garbage asteroid with another one, worries that the second one might come back are left to the 41st century's people.
- Uranus Is Showing: The Professor tells Fry that the planet was renamed to end that stupid joke once and for all- to Urectum.
- Whole Plot Reference: To Armageddon, especially the middle act.