Season 1, Episode 18
The Fringe team investigate a series of deaths in which the victim's heads are almost removed and the spinal fluid is drained. They discover a ZFT scientist whose wife is responsible for the killings: she was dosed with a mutated strain of syphilis by ZFT as punishment for her husband's desire to leave the group. The scientist promises to give information on ZFT if the Fringe team can cure his wife, which they're able to do, but synthesising the cure requires taking a fatal amount of the scientist's spinal fluid. Before his death, the scientist records a video in which he tells all he knows about ZFT, revealing that the organisation is funded by William Bell.
- The Atoner: Nicholas Boone, for unwittingly helping ZFT.
- Birds of a Feather: Walter and Nicholas Boone quickly get along, both for the interest in science and their guilt over what their work has done.
- Creepy Blue Eyes: Valeria, as well as a dog and a mouse, infected with the mutagem. They get glowing blue eyes that mind remind you of Diva.
- Evil Cripple: Subverted. Nicholas isn't evil at all.
- Evil Is Burning Hot: Valerie, due to being infected with a mutant syphillis-vampire virus.
- Glamour Failure: When Valerie is attacking you, her eyes glow blue and she grows another set of sharp teeth.
- Horror Hunger
- Not Himself: Valerie's infection has completely changed her personality, to the point Nicholas can't help Olivia find her because she's completely unpredictable.