Recap: Fringe S01 E16 "Unleashed"
aka: Fringe S 01 E 16
The Miracle of PregnancySeason 1, Episode 16
Tropes in this episode include:
- Settle for Sibling: Peter flirting with Rachel
- Animal Wrongs Group: Animals First! They only fall short of the 28DaysLater group that causes Zombie Apocalypse!
- Gory Discretion Shot: Johnathan and the scientist are pulled through the door (off camera) as they scream.
- I Ate What?: Subverted, as Walter stops Peter before he eats the ear in the omelet. Oops, I mean the ear in the protein rich incubator.
- Don't Be Ridiculous: PETER: Hey, we're looking for big bird. WALTER: Don't be ridiculous. Perhaps a pterodactyl...
- Autopsy Snack Time: Walter is munching on a wrap found in the victims' car after examining their bodies.
- LEGO Genetics: Termed "accelerated Darwinism" by Walter, but having nothing to do with natural selection or evolution as described by Darwin.
- Badass Transplant: While Walter says the creature is a trangenic species, he then starts talking about rejection suggesting that some attributes may be a result of xeno-grafting.
- Our Gryphons Are Different and other Mix-and-Match Critters in Walter's notebook
- Zipping Up the Bodybag
- Chest Burster: Larvae leaving the body
- The Worm That Walks: The larvae
- Face Full of Alien Wing-Wong: The stinger of the creature is used to impregnate.
- Double Standard: Rape, Sci-Fi
- Artistic License - Medicine:
- Walter seemed to acquire all ultrasound images in 3D mode, which would be quite unconventional. The ultrasound machine also looked outdated, while the ultrasound images were high resolution 3D images you would expect from a state of the art machine.
- The ultrasound image remained stable while Walter was moving the probe in circles.
- Astrid stuck a needle in Charlie's belly to obtain blood, but there are no large blood vessels there, and she would likely withdraw peritoneal fluid instead of blood.
- It is proposed that the bat immune system, because it is so efficient at eliminating disease, is necessary to prevent rejection in the hybrids. This confuses transgeneic manipulation and xenografting, but even beyond that does not make sense. In order to reduce the chance of rejection, the immune system should be suppressed. This is why transplant patients are maintained on immunosupressants.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Walter believes the creature is a result of his work. It's later revealed it's not, but he still feels he's responsibly.
- BFG: although the 50-caliber incendiary rounds did not seem very incendiary
- Monster Is a Mommy
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: Or in this case hybrid larvae love their mamas. The larvae stop feeding on Charlie when their mother's blood is injected into him, presumably because they now think he is their mother.