Recap: Fringe S01 E10 "Safe"
aka: Fringe S 01 E 10
Season 1, Episode 10
A team of thieves, led by Mitchell Loeb, is stealing safety deposit boxes from banks by walking through the walls
. However, when one of the thieves gets stuck in the wall and killed, the rest of the group leave him behind. The Fringe team is called in to investigate and Olivia believes that she recognises the dead thief, only to later realise that it's actually John Scott who knew the thief and that his memories are continuing to surface in her mind. The team tries to determine what was in the safety deposit boxes, only for Walter to realise that it's a teleportation device that he
invented and hid away. Meanwhile, Nina Sharp and the Massive Dynamics team "interrogating" John Scott realise that some of his memories are gone. As the Fringe team tries to track down the thieves, Loeb uses the teleportation device to break David Robert Jones
out of prison, while at the same time ZFT operatives abduct Olivia.
Tropes present in this episode include:
- Affably Evil: David Robert Jones, all through the episode. Even after snapping his lawyer's neck. Loeb almost qualifies, but his cold demeanor when shooting poor Raul Lugo makes him more of Faux Affably Evil.
- Jerkass Woobie: The Chess Club thieves are hinted to be this. They became traumatized by the Gulf War, were manipulated by Loeb and, as hinted by the radiation poisoning resulting from the "wall-phasing" machine, they were eventually killed after outliving their usefulness.
- Teleporters and Transporters: Turns out that the boxes contained an teleportation device created by Walter in order to save Peter from a disease. Loeb uses it to take Jones out of prison. There's consequences to it, however, as revealed in Ability.
- Eye Remember
- Interrogating the Dead: Couldn't they come up with something better than "brainwave echo"?
- Stun Guns: Olivia is hit with a TASER instead if a bullet