Recap / Farscape S 04 E 12 Kansas
Season 4, Episode 12
Aeryn, D'Argo, Chiana and Noranti arrive in orbit around Earth in Lo'La, having followed Crichton's signal through the wormhole. They save Crichton from running out of oxygen and head down to the planet, only to discover that the wormhole has brought them back in time — it's 1986. Worse, history has changed and Crichton's father Jack is now set to command the Challenger space shuttle mission. The crew have to Set Right What Once Went Wrong
and ensure that Jack doesn't go on the mission and the timeline stays intact.
Meanwhile, in the Uncharted Territories, a Peacekeeper Marauder — with Grayza and Braca onboard — approaches Moya while only Pilot, Scorpius and Sikozu are aboard. They can't run or Starburst because they might not be able to find their way back to the wormhole. Scorpius suggests letting Grayza board, believing that if she sees that Crichton is no longer on the ship, she'll leave them alone. They board, along with 30 Peacekeepers, and start a tier-to-tier search for Crichton. Sikozu and Scorpius hide from the Peacekeepers, but while Braca is alone, he's cornered by Scorpius... and the licking commences
. Braca, it transpires, has been loyal to Scorpius and spying on Grayza the entire time. Grayza is planning a peace initiative with the Scarrans, something the Scorpius believes will result in the Peacekeepers' destruction, and he orders Braca to remain with Grayza and continue spying. Once Grayza concludes that Crichton isn't aboard, she and the rest of the Peacekeepers leave — but unbeknownst to anyone, she leaves a predatory creature aboard, with instructions to hunt down Crichton should he return.
On Earth, Crichton and the others succeed in putting history back on track and leave the planet in Lo'La. They head to the coordinates of a rendezvous point in orbit where Moya is supposed to be waiting, but she's not there, even though Pilot comes in and claims to be in the right spot. When he checks the transmissions from the planet, Pilot realises what's happened: when she came through the wormhole, Moya arrived in 2003. Lo'La follows Moya's comm transmission through the wormhole and arrives in 2003, and when they board Moya, there's a welcoming committee waiting for them: Jack Crichton and three IASA officials. Suspecting a trap, Crichton draws his pistol on Jack...
Tropes present in this episode include:
- Continuity Nod: "Was it a bass or a trout?"
- Development Gag: Sesame Street features extensively when Aeryn was learning the English alphabet. It's no surprise that Farscape and Sesame Street are both developed by The Jim Henson Company.
- Halloween Episode: The 1986 scenes take place around and on Halloween, allowing Chiana to walk around in public. Rygel also scares trick-or-treaters out of their candy (with Crichton noting he did it several times off-screen).
- I Can't Believe It's Not Heroin!: Rygel gets some candy and goes nuts for it. He assumes it's illegal and later scares trick-or-treaters to get the sweets when Crichton stops buying for him.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Whenever humans enter the Moya crew's Earth hideout, Aeryn explains that Rygel a "Kermit toy". The disguise isn't that far-fetched since both are Muppets.
- The Reveal: Karen Shaw was mentioned previously in a couple episodes as the girl Crichton lost his virginity to. Turns out "Karen" was a time-displaced Chiana.
- Scorpius' mole aboard the Command Carrier? Braca, natch.
- Scary Black Man: When Noranti drugs a cop to see D'Argo as human, this is what he sees instead of an unmade-up Anthony Simcoe. This may be either an implication about the cop's racism, or a joke about the frequency with which Proud Warrior Race Guys are played by black actors in other shows.
- Set Right What Once Went Wrong: Because of Crichton's time travel, Jack becomes a member of the doomed Challenger crew. Crichton and the crew have to make sure Jack doesn't leave home in order to preserve the timeline.
- As the sheriff tells his story about the aliens, he's being watched by two federal agents.
- Aeryn watches a Sesame Street segment featuring Kermit the Frog. Specifically, the one where he sings the alphabet song with a girl and she keeps butting in with "Cookie Monster!"
- Stripperiffic: Aeryn's ridiculously revealing hippie-girl costume.