Recap / Farscape S 01 E 22 Family Ties
Season 1, Episode 22
Moya and her offspring are still in the same system as the Gammak Base and Crais' Command Carrier, still being pursued by Scorpius who still wants the wormhole knowledge that Crichton possesses. Rygel takes a transport pod and goes to the Command Carrier, trying to cut a deal with Scorpius for his own freedom in exchange for Moya's location. The rest of Moya's crew realise what Rygel is doing and prepare to either flee or fight when the Peacekeepers come. Crais informs Rygel that Scorpius has ordered his execution and the two make a deal: he helps Rygel return to Moya and requests asylum with the crew. At the same time, Crichton comes up with a plan to fill a transport pod with explosives and make a suicide run at the Command Carrier's bridge.
Crais vetoes the plan, claiming that Scorpius will detect the explosives and destroy the pod instantly. They come up with a new plan: Scorpius' Gammak Base is located on a moon with an oil surface, so they will detonate the pod in the moon's atmosphere and literally ignite the entire planet, destroying the base in the process. If Crichton flies the pod and destroys all of Scorpius' wormhole research, it will keep Scorpius sufficiently distracted for Moya and her offspring to escape. D'Argo and Crichton fly the pod towards the moon and bail out at the last minute — Crichton in a spacesuit and D'Argo, being a Luxan, able to survive in vacuum for a quarter
arn — and they wait for Aeryn to pick them up in her prowler. Scorpius redirects the Command Carrier to try and stop the pod, but they fail and the moon's surface is ignited.
However, while everyone else is distracted, Crais gets aboard Moya's offspring, which Aeryn has named "Talyn". Crais convinces Talyn to leave by flying into the asteroid field. Moya is initially unwilling to leave her offspring, but Crichton convinces her that the only way she can find Talyn is to save herself first. Moya starbursts away. D'Argo loses consciousness, having used up his quarter-arn of air, and Crichton is left to wait for pickup...
- Breaking the Fellowship: Moya is forced to starburst away with half the crew.
Aeryn: I'm still here, but I still can't get to you.
Crichton: May not matter. D'Argo's unconscious.
- Enemy Mine: Rygel and Crais reach a deal to save themselves.
- Genre Savvy: Rygel immediately realizes that Crais has lost all control to Scorpius.
- I Owe You My Life: Chiana says Crichton saved her life.
- It Has Been an Honor
Crichton: Hey, D'Argo. How come I'm not afraid?
D'Argo: Fear accompanies the possibility of death. Calm shepherds its certainty.
Crichton: I love hanging with you, man.
- Living Lie Detector: Scorpius can tell immediately when Rygel is lying to him.
- Miscarriage of Justice: Discussed. Crais knew all along that D'Argo was innocent of the crime he was imprisoned for. He tries to excuse it by saying only a higher-ranking officer could've pardoned D'Argo.
- No One Left Behind: Played with. Crichton tells everyone on Moya to starburst without them rather than risk being captured and, despite their reservations, they do. Aeryn has the option to try to return to Moya, but she refuses to leave Crichton and D'Argo floating out in space.
- Parental Abandonment: Aeryn notes she only saw her mother once and never met her father.
- Rewarded as a Traitor Deserves: Crais informs Rygel that the moment Scoprius gets what he wants, Rygel will be executed as an example.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: Inverted after Crichton says Rygel can have his possessions (calling him "a material kind of guy") and chides him for trying to sell out the crew.
Rygel: Look I-I know I can be selfish, but given a chance I can usually—
Crichton: Do what? Do the right thing?
Crichton: Rygel, I figure the right thing starts at the beginning of the day. Not after you've been caught.