Recap: Farscape S 01 E 07 PK Tech Girl
Season 1, Episode 7:
PK Tech GirlMoya comes across a Peacekeeper ship lying dead in space. Crichton and Zhaan wish to leave while they have the chance, but D'Argo wants to check their data for possible charts back to their home worlds, and Aeryn says she needs to know who she is. Rygel says it's the Zelbinion – the most feared ship in the Peacekeeper armada. They dock with it and Aeryn, Crichton and D'Argo go over to investigate. They search around the ship, but at the same time Rygel is bothered about having it docked, because it was the first ship he was tortured on.Crichton comes across a console with the lights on, and Aeryn says someone must have turned it on recently. He spots a young woman who tries to run, but Aeryn and D'Argo attack until Crichton stops them. The PK, Gilina, recognises them as Officer Aeryn Sun and the escaped prisoners. Crichton asks how she knows, and Aeryn replies that she's a tech, from Crais' ship!Aeryn questions her in brute Peacekeeper fashion, but Crichton says to give her a break. Aeryn says she's a tech, she's from Crais' ship – he is nearby and she will lie to them. Crichton agrees, but says that if she drops, she won't get her answers. Aeryn says it's her world, and he should not interfere. Meanwhile Rygel still refuses to go over to the Zelbinion, so Zhaan tells him he should confront his demons. Gilina tells the others that Crais sent her unit over, and two days later another ship appeared and incinerated their Marauder. D'Argo says it's the Sheyangs, but they couldn't have done it all. There are no records though because the ship's data stores were scavenged. Gilina then thanks Crichton for stopping Aeryn from killing her.Rygel then appears on the Zelbinion, and spits in Gilina's face, showing his hatred of Peacekeepers. He goes off looking around and sees an ominous figure that says hello, and welcomes him home. The others come across a dead body – a Sheyang victim, who was part of Gilina's unit. Aeryn recognises him and asks what he was doing guarding the likes of her. She says that Aeryn's whole unit was demoted after her defection and can only be reinstated upon her death. Pilot meanwhile has spotted a ship, which Zhaan confirms as a Sheyang vessel hiding just outside sensor range.Aeryn asks Gilina why the Sheyangs are back, and calls her a traitor because she knew they would return. Gilina says she is no traitor, and Crichton breaks it up, telling Gilina that Aeryn is no traitor – but Crais gave her no chance like the one they are giving her. She tells them that she hid while the Sheyangs took everything.D'Argo returns to command where Zhaan is anxious to leave since Moya has no offence. D'Argo says that where the Sheyangs see strength they flee, where they see weakness they destroy. Crichton, Aeryn and Gilina are trying to get the Zelbinion's defence screen operational, and Crichton seems to understand what Gilina is trying to do. The Sheyangs begin their weapons countdown, and Pilot says he and Moya are afraid of fire. D'Argo is enraged though, and Zhaan gets Pilot to transmit the image of him screaming to the Sheyangs. When they see the Luxan, they terminate the countdown. Crichton informs everyone that they can get the defence screen working in four arns since he can do half the work. D'Argo tells Zhaan he doesn't want to continue lying to an enemy in battle. Zhaan says he is just misleading them and it can only be him who continues the charade.Gilina mentions that Crichton killed Crais' brother, but he tells her it was really an accident. The Sheyangs do not believe that D'Argo has soldiers with him who are aboard the Zelbinion. Zhaan helps by prompting him, but the Sheyang says he's trying his patience and D'Argo believes their next conversation will spawn an attack.Crichton and Gilina are getting close, whilst Rygel is still hiding on Moya having visions of his torturer: Captain Selto Durka. Zhaan tells him Durka is dead, but Rygel says not to him; Zhaan says he must find Durka's corpse because it will set him free. One of the Sheyangs overthrows the leader, Teurac, and orders them to fire on Moya. Crichton, Gilina and Aeryn manage to get the defence screen active just in time so the weapon has no effect.However, Pilot informs them that the screen is not fully operational, it's two systems overlaid – only one is operational. At first reluctant, Gilina agrees to install the other part of the screen on Moya. Later she and Crichton are talking, when they end up kissing as Aeryn walks in! She is clearly angered but tries not to show it. Crichton goes after her, and he asks if she's ever just "clicked" with someone and she says that at first she found him "interesting", but only for a moment – clearly a shocking revelation for Crichton!The Sheyangs launch a load of pods, trying to breach the holes in the defence screen. They manage to get it active just in time, but one Sheyang managed to breach it. Aeryn finds him, but he shoots a fireball from his mouth! He goes and burns down the door to the room where Crichton and Gilina are working, and gets in. He shoots a fireball, but Aeryn manages to get there in time, and shoot him making him explode.Back on Moya, Crichton wants the others to let Gilina stay and get picked up by Crais, but the others don't want to give Crais another reason to come after them. Crichton says he's going to come one day anyway, and promises D'Argo and Zhaan that Gilina will keep their presence a secret, and Aeryn surprisingly agrees. She says that Gilina could also be deemed irreversibly contaminated, the penalty for which is death, or worse – exile. Aeryn says she's smarter than letting Crais know.The Sheyangs detect that Crais' Command Carrier is on its way at maximum speed, and D'Argo tells them he is sorry they are leaving – his officers were preparing revenge. Sheyang says he knows he has nothing, but he used it well.Aeryn tells Gilina that Crais will ask her many questions, and she says she will lie to him. Aeryn says she wishes she'd been that smart. Gilina shakes her hand, and Aeryn is clearly upset at thinking about the life she once had. Gilina says to Crichton that she will never see him again, but he says yes they will see each other again someday, and they have a nice big kiss.Crichton goes to see Aeryn, who says she hates to be ambushed. He says she got him in the end, but she says she didn't mean the Sheyang. On her world showing pain is a sign of weakness, and he should not presume to understand her. He says that though she always bashes him for being weak all the time, this time it's an advantage – he knows how she feels. He asks what it would be like for him if one day he finally gets to return home and found his dad, friends and all his family dead. She says she stand corrected.Synopsis by Dani Moure
Tropes present in this episode include:
- Batman Gambit: D'Argo is ranting and raving over facing battle with such limited resources. Zhaan tells Pilot to transmit this sight to the Sheeyangs, correctly guessing that the sight of an enraged Luxan will scare them for a while.
- Boarding Party: Gilina is the only survivor of a Peacekeeper team sent aboard the Zelbinion to investigate what happened to her.
- Brandishment Bluff: "You had nothing, but you used it well."
- Breath Weapon: Sheeyangs breath fire.
- Damage Control: At first, the heroes only intend to salvage anything usable from the Zelbinion, but decide to make the shields operational when they realize they are in imminent danger.
- Deflector Shields: The Zelbinion's shields are all shot to crap, and much of the work in the episode is devoted to repairing them to withstand the Sheeyang attack.
- The Engineer: Gilina
- Foreshadowing: The titular PK tech girl finding out Crichton seems to be identical to a Sebacean in all the right areas.
- Also Durka.
- Ghost Ship: The Zelbinion.
- Graceful Loser: Teurac
- Honor Before Reason: D'Argo is rather reluctant to lie to an opponent in battle.
- Love Triangle: Aeryn is clearly threatened by the cute blonde tech girl, particularly because she has more in common with John than Aeryn does.
- Oh Crap!: When the Sheeyangs first see a transmission of an enraged D'Argo.
- Raging Stiffie: Gilina is thrown backwards into Crichton, to which she comments that humans and Sebaceans really are similar all the way around.
- Space Pirates: The Sheeyangs.
- The Starscream: Teurac's lieutenant attacks him and takes command of their ship. When his attack fails, Teurac sends him on a Suicide Mission to redeem himself.
- The Unseen: Captain Crais continues to drive the characters' actions despite his absence. Gilina was part of a team dispatched by him to investigate the Zelbinion, and they must find a solution to their current situation and escape before he returns.
- We Will Meet Again: Teurac to Dargo:"I make it a point to someday kill my clever opponents."
- Wire Dilemma: Conversed. Gilina doesn't see the full humor in the story John told of it in.
- Worthy Opponent: Tuerac considers Dargo this after his Brandishment Bluff played so well it helped him win the day. He even tells his new lieutenant there is no shame in losing to such a clever opponent.
- The Woobie: Rygel is usually a Jerkass Woobie but is simply the Woobie when we find out what was done to him.