Recap: Family Guy S 8 E 8 Dog Gone
November 29, 2009
Brian gets a letter in the mail saying he's won an award for his novel Faster Than the Speed of Love
(the flop novel introduced in "Episode 420") by Rhode Island Society for Special Literary Excellence, to which he bugs the family about. When he gets to the award ceremony at a pizza restaurant and discovers that by "special" it means mentally retarded people. Saddened by the fact that his novel is a failure, Brian drinks at the restaurant's bar and drives drunk on his way home. While drunk, he accidentally runs over a dog and horrified over what he's done, buries the dead dog. Unfortunately, Stewie has witnessed it and toys around with Brian's guilt. When Brian finds out about it, Stewie reminds him that he won't get his guilt off his chest if he doesn't tell. Brian then decides to tell the Griffins that he committed murder and has Joe come over to arrest him. But when he reveals that it was a dog he killed, everyone laughs and tells him it doesn't matter if an animal dies at the hands of another animal.
Angered by the family's total apathy for his species, he decides to launch a crusade to give animals the same rights as humans. He organizes a town meeting to discuss things as animal cruelty and lab testing, but nobody is willing to listen to his advice to change their diets. When Brian brings up that some people actually eat dogs, everyone decides to try some dog and go after Brian to eat him. Later, Brian is crying in the bathtub saying that his family doesn't care about him. Feeling sorry for his friend, Stewie takes Brian's collar, kills a stray dog, and burns down a liquor store to make it seem like Brian dies in the fire. A fireman comes to the Griffin house with Brian's collar and everyone believes Brian is dead. Stewie takes Brian downstairs to see the Griffins crying over Brian's supposed death and he realizes that people care about him after all.
Meanwhile, when Peter and Quagmire try to make Kool-Aid, Quagmire spills the powder all over the floor and leaves Peter to get all the blame from Lois. Tired of cleaning Peter's messes, Lois hires a maid, Consuela. Consuela quickly starts getting on the family's nerves, staying in the house for the night when it rains, sleeping in Chris' bed and being an overall pushover. After failed attempts at firing her and bribing her, to leave Peter knocks her out with chloroform and leaves her in a basket on Joe's porch.
"Dog Gone" contains examples of:
- Ascended Extra: This is Consuela the Hispanic maid's first major role.
- Break the Haughty: Brian when he realizes that his novel is only liked by the mentally retarded, and later when he discovers that no one cares if an animal dies.
- Brick Joke: Brian tells the dad from Family Circus to "Go fuck [his] wife in the face". One commercial break later, Peter is reading the newpaper comics and comments, "Well this is a very shocking Family Circus."
- Butt Monkey: Brian. Played for Drama in that everyone treating Brian like crap ends up emotionally breaking him.
- Doorstop Baby: Peter disguises Consuela as one and leaves her on Joe's porch.
- Humans Are Bastards: Brian tries to get this message out by telling people that, in some cultures, people eat dog, but everyone becomes hung up on what it would be like to eat dog and end up going after him.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Brian after running over the dog.
- No Animals Were Harmed: At the end of, Peter says:
We here at Family Guy want you to know that we respect all living beings, and assure you, that no animals were harmed in the makings of this episode. But we're about to hurt the feelings of this Italian opera singer by prematurely dropping the curtain on his performance.