Recap / Family Guy S8 E18 "Quagmire's Dad"
May 9, 2010
Quagmire's father, a Navy lieutenant, comes to town to visit his son — and reveal that he's undergoing gender reassignment surgery
"Quagmire's Dad" contains examples of (YMMV goes here):
- An Aesop: When you tell a loved one about a life changing decision, don't assume that they will accept your choice or force them to accept your decision because the choice will also effect their lives and they need time to absorb this revelation. If you are uncomfortable with someones choice, try to be supportive but don't be afraid or anxious to ask questions or voice discomfort.
- Beer Goggles: Brian is unaware of Ida's previous identity until Stewie tells him Ö the morning after the two slept together.
- Big NO: Quagmire upon learning that Ida had sex with Brian.
- Broken Aesop: The episode was meant to be a sympathetic portrayal of transgendered people yet it never once addresses how society feels about transgender and how they arenít something to fear. While Peterís actions could be the case of Hanlon's Razor itís blatantly obvious that Lois is transphobic. Yet the episode never highlights how their wrong for feeling the way they do about Ida. Instead opting to present opting to present Quigmire in the wrong fr not instantly accepting her choice.
- I Banged Your Mom: Brian gives Quagmire a variation of this after the No-Holds-Barred Beatdown:
- Mood Whiplash: Brian is laughing like crazy upon finding out about Dan, until he discovers Dan is the woman he slept with last night.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Glenn gives a very serious one to Brian when he finds out about their little talk last night.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Quaqmire went on this when he found about Brian and his dad.
- Running Gag: Once again, Brian is beaten to a bloody pulp after taking a shower, but this time by Quagmire.
- Suddenly SHOUTING!: Brian and Stewie do this in panic after realizing that Brian slept with Quagmire's father.
- Made of Iron: Brian takes the beating in stride, not even protesting, so he evidently thought he deserved it.
- Transgender Fetishization: Ida is portrayed as extremely attractive, especially to Brianówho ends up sleeping with her to set up an Unsettling Gender Reveal gag.
- Unsettling Gender Reveal: Brian is seriously squicked out when he discovers the identity of Ida, vomiting for half a minute.