Recap: Family Guy S 7 E 8 Family Gay
Airdate: March 8, 2009While on his way to buy groceries, Peter buys a brain-damaged horse instead, which not only creeps everyone out but also causes $100,000 worth of damage when Peter enters it in a race and it goes on a rampage. Though the horse ends up dying of a fatal heart attack and Peter disposes of the body by flinging it into Mort Goldman's Pharmacy, the Griffins are in debt for initial damages. To make money, Peter works as a test subject for medical experiments, being injected with various genes to see their effects; these include the squirrel gene, the Seth Rogen gene (with Rogen himself providing the voice of the transformed Peter), and the gay gene, which turns Peter into a flamboyant homosexual.
"Family Gay" contains examples of (YMMV goes here):
- All Gays Are Promiscuous: Peter's partner Scott presents him with a 10-man orgy shortly before the gay gene wears off.
- All Gays Love Theater / Shout-Out: When Peter and Lois are in the doctor's office to try and learn how long the gay gene will last, one guess the doctor makes is 525,600 minutes, to which Peter responds, "RENT! RENT!"
- Ambiguously Gay: Peter, temporarily after getting injected with the gay gene.
- Stewie too, as he mentions he had the Straight Camp brochure with him for over a year.
- Brick Joke: Peter sends the horse to Mort after it dies. Mort gives it back to them at the very end.
- Broken Aesop: Peter agreed to take a gene to turn himself gay. The lesson presented in this episode is that you can't change your sexuality. Note the disconnect.
- Camp Gay: Peter after injected with the gene.
- Dead Baby Comedy: Literally; the disastrous horse race has a woman hysterically screaming, "My baby's dead!".
- Fanservice: Lois in that nightie.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Lois is depressed without Peter to cuddle, but she gets Peter out of the Straight Camp because she wants him to be happy being who he is with Scott.
- Let Us Never Speak of This Again: Literally said by Meg when Peter becomes straight again.Peter: That's right sweetie!
- Out-of-Character Moment: At this point in the series, Brian's been established as a strong supporter for gay rights, and while he admits that sending Peter to the straight camp goes against his beliefs, he does it to make Lois happy.
- Overly Long Gag: "Guiltyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy."
- Precision F-Strike: "TAKE BACK YOUR FUCKING HORSE!!!"
- Status Quo Is God: According to the doctor's notes on the gay gene, the effects wear off after about two and a half weeks, which happens right when Peter's in the middle of a 10-way gay guy orgy (the doctor lost Lois's phone number, so he was unable to let her know).