Recap / Family Guy S 7 E 3 Road To Germany
: October 26, 2008
At the Griffins' house, everybody watches the Oscars being hosted by Scarlett Johansson
and Steve Buscemi
(with comically over-sized teeth) when Mort Goldman desperately needs to use the bathroom. Since Meg's already using it, Mort ends up in Stewie's time machine, mistaking it for a portapotty. Brian goes to check on Mort, and Stewie realizes that Mort used the time machine, which he invented after growing bored with a European Speak-And-Say. Stewie then gets Seymour Krelborn
and his back-up singers to explain what happened to Mort, and he and Brian use the time machine and find him in Warsaw, Poland of September 1st, 1939, which was not only the day of Mort's paternal grandparents' wedding, but the day that the Nazis invaded Poland
Now Brian and Stewie have to save Mort and flee Warsaw. Unfortunately, they come across more Nazis with their submarines docked. The three hijack a submarine to escape to London, England and find that they're out of uranium to fuel their means to go back to the present, prompting them to go to Berlin, Germany. The guys then get on a plane with several British soldiers when the Nazis outnumber them. Luckily, the Hawkmen come to their rescue and take down the Nazis. Finally, the trio arrives in Berlin, where they disguise themselves to get uranium, and Stewie disguises himself further as Adolf Hitler
and gets his uranium, but the real Hitler appears, and is fooled at first, but then Stewie taunts him and Hitler demands for the trio's arrest...unless they do a musical number. But Mort can't take another second and they all go back to the present, or rather, 30 seconds before Mort used the time machine, destroying it with their Mort inside.
"Road to Germany" contains examples of (YMMV goes here) :
- All Jews Are Cheapskates: When Mort gets sent back in time, he initially mistakes the presence of his relatives for heaven, going out of his way to point some of his relatives, such as, "My frugal Aunt Ruth, my thrifty Uncle Isaac, my bargain-hunting Aunt Flo, and my great-aunt Vera, who didn't like to spend a lot on anything."
- Artistic License – History: There are several historical inaccuracies in this episode. For example:
- Although the Nazis did invade Poland on September 1st of 1939, they didn't actually reach Warsaw until September 8th.
- The two German soldiers that shoot at Stewie and Brian in the alleyway use MP-40 sub-machine guns, which weren't available until 1940.
- The spitfires used in the aerial battle were Mk.IX Spitfires, which weren't developed until much later in the war.
- Brian says that England is the only place where Mort will be safe from the Nazis, but at that time, no other Allied countries had been invaded. In addition, London is depicted as being bombed out, even though the Blitz (the German air campaign against British cities) didn't start until September 1940.
- The SS-uniforms are in black, but gray was the uniform color of the Germany army at this time—black wasn't used as front units for uniforms.
- When Brian, Stewie and Mort finally reach Berlin, the Brandenburger gate can be seen, but the Reichstag and the Siegessäule are missing, and the gate itself is shown from the wrong way.
- At one point, Stewie wonders why Germany is building weapons of mass destruction and America isn't stopping them. Brian looks at the camera and says "Maybe because they don't have any oil." Actually, America had all the oil it needed and didn't have to rely on foreign imports. In fact, America was able to supply nearly all the fuel needed for the Western Allied war effort (Russia had their own considerable oil fields). It was the Axis countries who invaded for oil during the war.
- Hands Go Down: When Brian and Stewie are looking for Mort at his grandparents' wedding:
Stewie: Uh, excuse me. We're looking for a Mr. Goldman.
(Every man raises their hand)
Brian: Mr. Mort Goldman.
(Half the men lower their hands)
Stewie: He's a small business owner. Tends to whine a lot, kind of a hypochondriac.
(The half that lowered their hands raise them again)
Stewie: No, no! You can't put your hand back up after you've put it down...you know what, never mind.
- Potty Failure: Mort ends up soiling himself at the very end of the episode.
- Precision F-Strike: "DAMMIT, WILL YOU TWO JUST GET IN THE FUCKING TIME MACHINE?"
- The little musical number done by the people from Little Shop of Horrors.
- The scene where Stewie and Brian are in an aerial dogfight and are suddenly backed up by the hawk-men from Flash Gordon. Complete with BRIAN BLESSED letting out an epic battle cry.
- Take That!: The Nazi uniform that Stewie wears has a "McCain/Palin '08" button on it.
- Rumor has it that Trey Parker saw this gag and thought it was so unfunny that it inspired him and Matt Stone to make the South Park episode "About Last Night."
- The Ugly Guy's Hot Daughter: Subverted and averted. Mort Goldman is fat and homely with bad teeth and thick glasses while his grandparents (as we see on their wedding day) were drawn much more attractively.