Recap / Family Guy S 4 E 26 Petergeist
Original air date
: May 7, 2006
While trying to build a home theater in his backyard, Peter unearths the skull of an Indian chief, which causes a poltergeist to haunt the Griffin house.
Tropes used in the episode:
- Overly Long Gag: Bruce's speech:
Chris: Will I ever see my baby brother again?
Bruce: Only if he can find his way into the light, Chris. For some people, it's easier than others. Some people just get lost on the way to the light. They're walking along, they stop and say, "Oh, is that a new restaurant? That place must've just opened up 'cause I remember there was another place there a few weeks ago. I went in there once and there was a guy with a harelip eating soup, and I was like "Eeew..." It wasn't the restaurant's fault, I know. But I still never went back there. I mean, I guess there's only, like, a one in 50 chance of me getting the same spoon that he had, but I still don't like them odds."
- Pun: Carrot Top's seesaw, a saw with glasses.
- Shout-Out: The episode's plot is a send-up of Poltergeist.
- Tom Tucker does his best Fred Schneider voice at the end of a broadcast day.
Tom: Now, try to, get some, sleep out, there! Not bad. Gettin' better.
- In one scene, Peter goes to the bathroom in the middle of the night and starts ripping the flesh off his face. Underneath it all is Hank Hill's face.
Peter: Hehehehehe, propane.
- There's a recreation of a scene from Jackass where Stewie beats up Peter while he's sitting on the toilet.
Peter: Come on, Stewie. You're acting crazy out there, man.
- When a mutated tree in the Griffin backyard tries to take Chris, Herbert tells the tree, "You shall not pass!" He then proceeds to fight the tree, falling through the earth as he does so.
- During the newscast:
: A bit of breaking news. A local family is forced out of their home by ghosts. Who are they gonna call? Diane
, Tom? Tom
: No, Diane, their insurance company. That's just stupid what you said.
- In an alternate scene, Stewie refuses to get out of Meg's butt, saying that it's almost as likely as anyone remembering the 1980 cast of Saturday Night Live, followed by a cutaway of the opening sequence for that season, which consists of the female castmembers (Denny Dillon, Gail Matthiusnote , Anne Risley, and super-unknown black female cast member Yvonne Hudson), along with male feature player, Patrick Weathersnote .
- Take That: The TV asks Stewie about Joey:
Stewie: What? No, they did a spin-off. Um, he's still playing Joey, but, uh, it's not doing so well.
- What Happened to the Mouse? and Bowdlerization: On the TV version (both on free TV and cable) of this episode, the scene of Herbert the pedophile fighting the haunted tree and the two of them falling through the earth did not have a resolution to that scene. The DVD version actually has a conclusion to that scene: Herbert and the tree climb out of the hole and settle their differences by going back to Herbert's place for tea and cookies. Herbert then asks the tree if he's a "giving tree" or a "receiving tree". The reason why it was cut was because the FOX censors objected to the anal sex implications (the DVD commentary mentions this).