The episode begins with Peter announcing that they've been cancelled to make room for other FOX shows, like Dark Angel
, That 80s Show
, Andy Ricther Controls the Universe
, Girls' Club
, Cracking Up
, The Pitts
, Get Real
, Wanda at Large
, The Lone Gunmen
, A Minute With Stan Hooper
, Normal, Ohio
, Harsh Realm
, Keen Eddie
, The $treet
, American Embassy
, Cedric the Entertainer Presents
, The Ticknote
, and Greg the Bunnynote
. Peter then reassures Lois that if all those shows got canned, then maybe
, they'd get a second note
...And they do.
We then get the story, where it kicks off with Peter and Lois going to get a second honeymoon, but Peter screws it up because he reads an Archie comic while driving. They end up at the Park Barrington Hotel, where Peter masquerades as Mel Gibson
so that he and Lois can get into the hotel, where they find that Mel Gibson is going to make The Passion of the Christ II
, and take the film reel so that they can destroy it.
"North By North Quahog" contains examples of:
- Disney Villain Death: Mel Gibson.
- Epic Fail: Peter forgetting how to sit down.
- Long List: The list of canceled shows that came on around the same time as or after Family Guy was canceled from 2002 to 2005 (a lot of which were mediocre to awful shows that were canned for low ratings and negative reviews, like That 80s Shownote , The Pitts, and Cedric the Entertainer Presents. Some, like Titus, Undeclared, all of Joss Whedon's shows (Firefly and Dark Angel), Greg the Bunny, The Tick, Wanda At Large, and Action were fairly good shows that merely got Screwed by the Network due to timeslot changes, Executive Meddling, or FOX not advertising the show enough for people to take interest).
- Take That: When Meg asks Chris to turn the channel to The George Lopez Show, Chris says the show perpetuates the stereotype that George Lopez is funny.
- Uncanceled: The beginning of the episode.
- Was Too Hard on Him: Stewie asks Brian this when he spanks Chris after catching him with vodka, despite that Chris was framed by a student.
Stewie: Do you think we were too hard on Chris tonight?
Brian: What? Oh, God. No, no. I don't...I don't think so. Do you?
Stewie: Oh, no, I just always feel badly when we have to be strict.