Recap / Family Guy S 2 E 13 Road To Rhode Island
"We're off, on the Road to Rhode Island"
: May 30, 2000.
In this episode note
, Brian volunteers to pick up Stewie from Lois's parents' vacation in Palm Springs, and the duo end up on the road a la
Bing Crosby and Bob Hope in the "Road To..." movies. Meanwhile, Lois orders relationship-building tapes for herself and Peter, but Peter ends up enjoying them more for the parts that are for men only.
"Road to Rhode Island" contains examples of (YMMV goes here):
- All Men Are Perverts: The "Men-only" part of the tapes that Peter and Lois get contain pornography.
- Bait and Switch:
Brian: Hey kid, thanks for not ratting me out. Is there anything I can do for you?
Stewie: It's on this afternoon, you can tape it for me. And put a nice label on it.
- Brick Joke: When Lois says that Stewie is vacationing with his grandparents in their summer home, it cuts to Stewie stealing Babs's watch and tossing it in a maid's pocket: "That should provide some after-dinner entertainment." When Brian goes to pick up Stewie, the maid is being hauled out in handcuffs.
- Due to the Dead: Brian steals her mother's body in order to give her a proper burial.
- Foreshadowing: As the two sleep, Brian is licking Stewie, causing the latter to proclaim "That's it, Mr. Giraffe. Get all the marmalade". This was as Stewie began shifting from an evil genius bent on killing his mother and/or taking over the world into a Bisexual Jerk with a Heart of Gold who pretty much abandoned his mission to kill Lois and/or rule the world.
- Freudian Slippery Slope: Peter, when he talks about the tapes:
: I got another relationship tape. Lois:
$49.95? That's three times as much as the first one. Peter:
Now, Lois, our marriage can't be measured in nipples and dimes
. I mean nickels and boobs. ...money.
- Gigantic Gulp: Brian drinks wine out of one.
- The Glasses Gotta Go: The woman on the "couples therapy" tape starts by wearing glasses but removes them and instantly becomes more attractive.
- Karma Houdini: Stewie and Brian get away with both skipping out on their hotel room bill and stealing a car.
- Pun: When Brian comes across his stuffed dead mother:
Stewie: I say, someone must have said a funny, because your mother's in stitches! (laughs) I'll leave you to grieve.
Stewie: Stiff upper lip. (laughs)
- Rewind, Replay, Repeat: What Peter does with the tape Lois just made, while making love to her.
- Shout-Out: The episode (and it's sequels) is similar to the "Road To" film series from the 1940s. This episode, however, bears the most resemblance to the film series, especially "Road To Morocco". In fact, the song "Off on the Road to Rhode Island" is a modern remake of "Off on the Road to Morocco"
- Ten with a Two: At the airport bar, Brian drinks a lot of alcohol and tells the woman next to him that she's getting increasingly attractive.
- This Is the Part Where...: While Stewie and Brian escape with a hijacked car.
Brian: You'll have to add the part where I made you smash your head on the windshield.
(Brian abruptly stops the car, causing Stewie to hit the windshield)
- Two Lines, No Waiting: Since Brian and Stewie are out of the house, they get the A-plot to themselves.