Recap / Family Guy S 2 E 13 Road To Rhode Island
"We're off, on the Road to Rhode Island"
: May 30, 2000.
In this episode note
, Brian volunteers to pick up Stewie from Lois's parents' vacation in Palm Springs, and the duo end up on the road a la
Bing Crosby and Bob Hope in the "Road To..." movies. Meanwhile, Lois orders relationship-building tapes for herself and Peter, but Peter ends up enjoying them more for the parts that are for men only.
"Road to Rhode Island" contains examples of (YMMV goes here):
- All Men Are Perverts: The "Men-only" part of the tapes that Peter and Lois get contains pornography.
- Angrish: When Stewie finds out that Lois sent Brian to pick him up instead of herself, he's so annoyed he can barely form a cohesive sentence.
Stewie: Oh, oh, oh! This is, this is, oh, don't even get me started. I-I-I-I mean, really! When I think of-of-of-of the times that that woman has... Oh, I won't even begin to-to-to-
Brian: Can we go?
- Bait and Switch:
Brian: Hey kid, thanks for not ratting me out. Is there anything I can do for you?
Stewie: It's on this afternoon, you can tape it for me. And put a nice label on it.
- Beer Goggles: At the airport bar, Brian drinks a lot of alcohol and tells the woman next to him that she's getting increasingly attractive.
- Brick Joke: When Lois says that Stewie is vacationing with his grandparents in their summer home, it cuts to Stewie stealing Babs's watch and tossing it in a maid's pocket: "That should provide some after-dinner entertainment." When Brian goes to pick up Stewie, the maid is being hauled out in handcuffs.
- Due to the Dead: Brian steals her mother's body in order to give her a proper burial.
- Foreshadowing: As the two sleep, Brian is licking Stewie, causing the latter to proclaim "That's it, Mr. Giraffe. Get all the marmalade". This was as Stewie began shifting from an evil genius bent on killing his mother and/or taking over the world into a Bisexual Jerk with a Heart of Gold who pretty much abandoned his mission to kill Lois and/or rule the world.
- Fanservice: The relationship-building tapes that Lois buys for her and Peter contain a "Men-only" portion, which, as mentioned above, is actually pornography.
- Then when Lois finds out, she strips into her underwear, and states that if Peter wanted to see a girl get naughty, he "should've told [her]."
- Freudian Slippery Slope: Peter, when he talks about the tapes:
: I got another relationship tape. Lois:
$49.95? That's three times as much as the first one. Peter:
Now, Lois, our marriage can't be measured in nipples and dimes
. I mean nickels and boobs. ...money.
- Gigantic Gulp: Brian drinks wine out of one.
- The Glasses Gotta Go: The woman on the "couples therapy" tape starts by wearing glasses but removes them and instantly becomes more attractive.
- Karma Houdini: Stewie and Brian get away with both skipping out on their hotel room bill and stealing a car.
- Premature Ejaculation: While Peter is watching the "therapist" on the tape, she asks what food she's gonna put on herself next:
Peter: Oh jeez, if she says "Mrs. Dash", I'm gonna lose it.
- Pun: When Brian comes across his stuffed dead mother:
Stewie: I say, someone must have said a funny, because your mother's in stitches! (laughs) I'll leave you to grieve.
Stewie: Stiff upper lip. (laughs)
- Rewind, Replay, Repeat: What Peter does with the tape Lois just made, while kissing her.
Lois on TV: (disrobing down to a BDSM outfit) You shoulda told me. [REWIND] You shoulda told me. [REWIND] You shoulda told me.
- Shout-Out: The episode (and it's sequels) is similar to the "Road To" film series from the 1940s. This episode, however, bears the most resemblance to the film series, especially "Road To Morocco". In fact, the song "Off on the Road to Rhode Island" is a modern remake of "Off on the Road to Morocco"
- This Is the Part Where...: While Stewie and Brian escape with a hijacked car.
Brian: You'll have to add the part where I made you smash your head on the windshield.
(Brian abruptly stops the car, causing Stewie to hit the windshield)
- Two Lines, No Waiting: There are two plots to the episode: one is with Brian and Stewie trying to return home after missing their flight, and the other is with Peter becoming addicted to pornographic marriage counseling tapes. However, Brain and Stewie's plot has the most focus.