Chapters: 103-130, Episodes: 41-48
Short SummaryLaxus makes his move for the position of guild master of Fairy Tail, unleashing a plot that forces its members to fight one another in order to defeat him.
Fighting Festival Arc has the following tropes:
- Affably Evil: Freed.
- Big Bad: Laxus.
- Break the Haughty: The Thunder Legion gets their egos seriously destroyed after a humiliating defeat in their war.
- Cat Boy: Makarov dresses up as one while celebrating the Fairy Tale parade.
- Civil War: Albeit the whole guild against Laxus's group. They're only forced to fight against one another due to Freed's runes.
- Creepy Doll: Bickslow has an army of them powered by souls.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Mirajane vs. Freed. Needless to say he finds out exactly why she was called the "Demon" and a former S-Class mage.
- Death Glare: Evergreen and Bickslow both have literal ones. Evergreen's turns enemies into stone while Bickslow's can instantly kill them.
- Double Agent: Gajeel, though at first it's thought he was on Ivan's side. But at the end, turns out he's spying on him for Makarov.
- Easily Forgiven: Quite jarringly, Laxus and the Thunder Legion are forgiven one day after trying to kill all the guild members.
- Enemy Mine: Natsu and Gajeel against Laxus.
- The Exile: Laxus' ultimate punishment is being exiled by his guild.
- Fanservice: The Miss Fairy Tail contest at the beginning of the arc.
- Faux Affably Evil: Laxus, Bickslow, and Evergreen are playful with their enemies while crushing them.
- Five-Bad Band: Though there's only four of them (technically)
- Heel–Face Turn: Gajeel joins Fairy Tail in this arc, though he grudgingly admits he only joined at the behest of his fellow ex-Phantom Lord member, Juvia, and Makarov.
- Heroic Sacrifice: When trapped in a rune of Freed's that meant to pit them against each other, Juvia sacrifices herself to help Cana escape. She gets better at the end.
- Holy Hand Grenade: Laxus attempts Fairy Law at the climax of the arc, but it fails as in his heart he doesn't have it in him to kill anyone.
- Hostage for MacGuffin: Laxus turns the female Fairy Tail members to stone and only agrees to change them back if Makarov surrenders his position of Guild Master to him. When they get rescued, he switches to using the whole town as a hostage.
- Kill Sat: After Erza forces Evergreen to change the girls back to normal. Laxus switches to this tactic by making a spell that will fry the whole town unless his demands are met.
- Love Makes You Crazy/ Love Makes You Evil: Alzack immediately turns on his own friends when Bisca's life is on the line.
- Manly Tears: Makarov, Freed, and even Laxus have emotional moments in the arc.
- Mood Whiplash: First we have the light-hearted, fanservicey Miss Fairy Tail contest. Then Evergreen steps in...
- Reverse Mole: Gajeel is really working as a spy for Makarov against Ivan while posing as Ivan's spy on Fairy Tale.
- Smug Snake: The Thunder Legion is full of overconfident Darwinists.
- The Social Darwinist: The Thunder Legion think that only the strong can survive.
- Taken for Granite: One of Evergreen's powers, which can turn anyone who looks into her eyes without her glasses to stone.
- Token Good Teammate: Freed to the Raijinshuu, especially after his fight with Mirajane. He breaks down in tears after he's defeated, admitting he didn't want to go along with Laxus's plan.
- Tomato Surprise: Laxus magic is Dragon Slayer related (albeit artificial).
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Laxus is shown to have idolized his grandfather back when he was a child.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: According to the Thunder Legion, they started this civil war to make their guild stronger and redeem their good name. However, they were okay with brutal fights to the death between its own guild members in doing so.
- Worf Had the Flu: Coincidentally, when the guild needs him the most, Makarov unexpectedly has a health problem and requires serious treatment while Laxus is destroying his guild.
- Worthy Opponent: Freed views all of his combatants this way.