Short SummaryA four episode filler arc set after the Oracion Sies Arc. Natsu and Wendy hear of a rumor that a woman saw a dragon and set out to find her. However upon doing so they find that she has malicious intentions for them.
Daphne Arc has the following tropes:
- The Assimilator: Daphne's dragon works by assimilating dragon slayers as the power source.
- Bad Boss: During the flash back she had her proto-lizards fight to the death when they couldn't find the villagers.
- Big Bad: Daphne, Of course.
- The Cassandra: Part of Daphne's Start of Darkness as when she saw a dragon and told the townspeople, no one believed her.
- Disproportionate Retribution: When her villagers used the Hidden magic to hide away from her proto-dragons, she put a spell on them, making them unable to leave their "Hidden" status. When Natsu knock her down, the curse disappears.
- Ditto Fighter: Daphne's lizardmen
- Face–Heel Turn: Gray. Subverted, he only joined up with Daphne to remind Natsu of the promise he made to the people of her home town.]]
- Foreshadowing: Considering this takes place before Edolas, yeah. Carla even mentions she gets a familiar feeling from seeing the fake dragon. A sign of the mechanical dragon in the climax of the Edolas arc.
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: Natsu develops chibi visions of himself in within the fake dragon that act like this. This is mentioned to be a process of assimilation to power the dragon.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Seeing that he can't get out of the fake dragon. Natsu tries to get his friends to destroy it with him inside. Marakov however, has a better idea.
- Hoist by His Own Petard / Phlebotinum Overload: Daphne uses Natsu to power her dragon. So the Fairy Tail mages manage to get Natsu so riled up that his fire powers become too much for the "dragon" to handle and overloads the system that Daphne can't get it back under her control. Natsu eventually manages to break out and knocks out Daphne in one hit.
- Mad Scientist: Daphne
- Our Dragons Are Different: The one here isn't even real.
- The Promise: Natsu, when he was little, stumbled upon Daphne's hometown and found out about their current dilemma of being unable to leave their hidden state (they can appear as shadows during sunrise however). Natsu had promised them he would free them of the spell but had forgotten about it over the years, prompting Gray to remind him.
- Series Fauxnale: Was meant to be a finale for the anime to end out on as it wasn't certain if it would continue. But the anime's popularity convinced the network to keep running it.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Fairy Tail to Gray over his "plan" to remind Natsu about his promise. Even Natsu gets on his case about it once the ordeals over.