Tropes present in Frontier Worlds include:
- Animal Motifs: Compassion says that she and Fitz are like the Doctor's pets. She compares herself to a cat, which thinks "My owner loves me and feeds me and takes care of me so I must be god." Fitz, she says, is a dog, thinking "My owner loves me and feeds me and takes care of me, so he must be god."
- Body Horror
- Cold-Blooded Torture
- Corrupt Corporate Executive
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Fitz mentions a reasonably subtle one his mum made once.
- Legendary Impostor
- Only a Flesh Wound: Mentioned by name by the Doctor after being shot in the shoulder. It's his mild Healing Factor that makes the wound so easy to shrug off, not just a writer leaning too heavily on artistic license.
- Strapped to an Operating Table: The Doctor. He's impressively calm about the whole thing, except for when he Screams Like a Little Girl just to be aggravating, especially considering the fact he's naked and facing a device that's supposed to bite out his heart.
- Stuffed in the Fridge