Recap: Ed Eddn Eddy S 4 E 1 If It Smells Like An Ed
Airdate: September 27, 2002Part OneIt's Friendship Day in the Cul-de-Sac. To celebrate, Jimmy, Sarah, Jonny, Plank, and Rolf have constructed a large heart as the center of the festivities. Kevin and Nazz come out to see and the latter enthralled by the idea. Despite some initial reluctance by the ever-bitter Kevin, he joins in on the festivities along with the others. After they sing a song, it is cut off due to Jonny bumping into Edd who had just arrived. Eddy and Ed then arrive with the former taking a jujube from Rolf and the latter being fascinated by the big red heart. Kevin is upset that the Eds showed up.However the Eds aren't really up to anything. Eddy and Ed have a look at the heart and both of them note a description of the heart in their own opinion. Edd notes the heart is a wonderful addition to the Cul-de-Sac and Jimmy asks him if the heart is not precious. Jimmy then tells Eddy to stop being grumpy as it is Friendship Day. He tells Eddy to reach out and touch someone. Eddy then sarcastically says "Whatever you say, friend!" before he gives Jimmy a massive wedgie. All the other kids (with the exception of Sarah) then laugh away at Jimmy's humiliation, causing him to break down in tears. The laughter is quickly quelled when Sarah angrily yells at Ed for laughing at Jimmy's misfortune and this causes the Eds to run away due to Ed's fear of Sarah telling on his mom.Strange crimes then start to take light on Friendship Day. First, the paintbrush that Sarah used to paint the heart is missing and she instantly blames Ed (which is odd since there was no likely or obvious proof that he did it). She grabs Ed and demands the paintbrush back, but Ed does not know what she is talking about. Eddy then makes Sarah drop Ed and tells her that Ed did not take her paintbrush. Then, Jonny painfully discovers that Plank's mouth had been wiped off. A stained rag is found in Edd's pocket and, despite his pleas of innocence and his known history of being a straight-shooter, he is implicated due to the evidence. Just when things can't seem to get worse, the heart at the center had been pierced by a hockey stick, one that, upon further inspection by Kevin, has Eddy's name written on it. Kevin asks why his name is on the stick, but Eddy does not believe he put that hockey stick there regardless that his name is on it. Eddy says to Kevin he may have done the pranks due to him hating the Eds, but due to how the kids see the events that had occurred they do not support or believe anything the Eds say even when they try to tell them they didn't do any of the pranks that had just occurred. Disgusted and angry, the others leave.Eddy is angered by the accusations and rounds up his friends. They decide that in order to get their credibility back, they have to find the real culprit responsible and clear their names. After running through a list of possible suspects, all of which are discovered to have a personal grudge against them, they decide to try a different approach. A red footprint is found at the scene by Ed and he deduces to his friends that the perpetrator must have left this footprint behind. The Eds then take the cement segment off of the sidewalk and take it with them. They then try to match the footprint to their suspects, stealthily examining each one, to no success. Kevin, Sarah and Nazz are found innocent due to their feet not matching the footprint of the supposed culprit. The Eds run into a suspicious looking Rolf near the lane, who manages to evade the Eds before they could investigate his shoe size.Their last stop is Jimmy's house. They break into his garage to find him practicing hockey. Eddy instantly declares Jimmy as the rat. However, Jimmy begins crying and tells them that his father makes him practice hockey and that he would never frame them. Seeing as his story checks out as well as the fact that his foot size doesn't match with the footprint, the Eds leave after Ed drops the piece of sidewalk on his feet. Ed then breaks the fourth wall and says to Edd that he will have all the feeling back in my feet after a commercial break and the Eds continue their search, unaware that there is someone that they forgot to check.Part TwoThe Eds are still hot on the case in an effort to prove to the rest of the kids that it wasn't them who sabotaged Friendship Day. They soon notice an ominous trail of jujubes. After following it into an alleyway, they discover a jujube covered Jonny. A sign says "Giant Jonny Chew" and it appears to be a sadistic scam created by the same person who framed them (due to the identical red footprint on Plank's back). The Eds take the time to match-up Jonny's shoe to the red footprint template, but find that there is no match on his foot either. It finally looks like they're getting somewhere until the rest of the kids arrive at the scene & jump to the conclusion that the Eds had tied and gagged Jonny as part of a scam. The Eds try to explain that Jonny was already like this when they found him, and that they have evidence of their innocence (Rolf at this point is shown slyly listening in to the conversation behind a fence). The kids don't believe them and Kevin and Sarah are so angered by all of this that they decide to inflict violence on the Eds as punishment. The kids then chase them into the forest, but then Kevin sees Rolf and asks if he can help the kids beat up the Eds. However Rolf explains that he is busy eating jujubes while he has his mouth full of jujubes and Kevin tells him those are going to rot his teeth before going back to chasing the Eds. The Eds stealthily hide in a bush to give them enough time to lose the kids for a while. The Eds discover a trail of jujubes, and follow them.The real culprit can't be too far ahead, so while the other kids angrily search for them, the Eds high tail it through the forest to catch the saboteur. The trail of jujubes eventually leads them to an old shed. Upon seeing this, the kids are soon converging upon their position, so they head inside. Posing as a cow to trick the kids when they look through the window of the shed, they buy themselves a little time. However, a shadowy figure looms in front of them. Edd figures that is the culprit. Ed greets the figure as Rolf due to the silhouette.As Eddy angrily begins yelling at Rolf, Rolf's shadow slowly becomes three shadows. As it turns out, it wasn't Rolf and, unfortunately for the Eds, they are staring face-to-face with the Kanker sisters, who had been waiting for them. They attempt to leave the shed, but are discovered by the kids. They are now trapped completely with almost no way out of either situation as they will have to face the wrath of one of the groups. The Eds have to make a difficult decision on what they should do next. They choose to surrender to the kids instead of facing the Kankers.Later the Eds are shown sellotaped to a fence in the lane. The kids have shown mercy and had decided to punish the Eds by throwing fruit at them rather than beating them up. As they all leave, satisfied, Jimmy stays behind after Rolf requests that he provide him with another tray of jujubes. The Eds see the transaction and ask where he got those Jujubes. Jimmy hides them claiming he doesn't know what they're talking about. Edd then notices a paint spattered boot in Jimmy's back pocket. The Eds realize that it was Jimmy who was the culprit! Jimmy comes clean and confesses to the crime. He reveals that it was him who had framed them all for revenge. Eddy demands what did they do to Jimmy to make him want to get revenge on them and Jimmy angrily tells him he ruined a good pair of underpants. This makes Edd and Ed realize Jimmy is referring to the wedgie that Eddy did to him earlier on Friendship Day. Ed laughs due to the mentioning of this, but Jimmy yells at him to be quiet as he felt so angry and hurt when Eddy wedgied him and everyone laughed at him shortly after.Jimmy reveals everything he did . He claims that Eddy's wedgie and everyone's laughter at his misfortune had pushed him over the edge. He explains that he wanted revenge against them for that, so he came up with a brilliant plan as his revenge. He explains his entire involvement with ruining his own friendship day, leaving the jujubes and a fake footprint as fake evidence to keep the Eds off his trail, baiting and trapping Jonny with a acorn to get the Eds in even more trouble and even making a reluctant alliance with the Kankers just for his final revenge. At this point, he states he has to fulfill the promise he made. He then snaps his fingers which causes the Kankers to show up at the last minute to claim their prize, as Jimmy had promised. The Eds scream with terror as their section of the lane fence is ripped off and dragged away with them by the Kankers.As Jimmy walks away taunting the Eds at his victory, he slips on a stray banana peel, injuring himself. Jimmy then yells out to Sarah for help
"If It Smells Like An Ed." contains examples of (YMMV goes here):
- The Bad Guy Wins: Jimmy.
- Banana Peel: Right at the end.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Jimmy.
- Break the Cutie: The Eds ruin Jimmy's Friendship Day celebrations, with Eddy reducing him to tears after giving him a wedgie.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Ed says he should get the feeling back in his feet after "this word from our sponsers."
- Butt Monkey: Jimmy at first. The Eds at the end.
- The Chessmaster: Jimmy.
- Crocodile Tears: Jimmy sheds theses when the Eds barge into his garage and catch him with a hockey stick.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Although Jimmy was pushed too far, framing all three Eds seems too disproportionate. Also, see Revenge below.
- Distracted by the Sexy: The Eds use a poster of Nazz in a bikini to distract Kevin while they compare his foot to the footprint.
- Downer Ending
- Hypocrite: In "Boys Will Be Eds", Nazz calls out the boys for laughing at Jimmy's misfortune, but here, she was among the ones who were laughing at Jimmy getting a wedgie.
- Jerkass: Eddy.
- Karma Houdini: Although Eddy was the only one who deserved the punishment, Jimmy gets away with what he did to Ed and Edd.
- He gets a minor punishment at the end by slipping on a banana peel (granted that's likely a severe casualty for him).
- Kick the Dog: When Eddy gave Jimmy a wedgie.
- Minor Injury Overreaction: Jimmy begins bawling like a baby when he slips on a Banana Peel.
- Misplaced Retribution: All three Eds a placed through a torturous Humiliation Conga after Eddy and only Eddy gives Jimmy a wedgie. He even accuses this slight against to Double D when caught out.
- Never My Fault: When the kids notice that a paintbrush is missing, Sarah quickly blames Ed for stealing it.
- Red Herring: Rolf. The Kankers near the end at first seems to be the true culprits, until The Reveal happens after the Eds' Humiliation Conga.
- Revenge: Jimmy frames all three Eds, gets them humiliated, and captured by the Kankers in retaliation of a wedgie Eddy gave him.
- Sadistic Choice: Near the end of the episode, the Eds are faced to either endure the wrath of the neighborhood kids or the Kankers. They choose turning themselves in to the kids.
- Shoot the Shaggy Dog: The Eds spends a bulk of the episode trying to clear their names, instead they are further led to false clues, antagonized by the neighborhood kids to a point they formed an angry mob to punish them and did not know who the culprit was after undergoing a Humiliation Conga before being sold out to the Kankers for further torment.
- Temporarily a Villain: Jimmy. It's justified though.
- Took a Level in Badass: Chessmaster skills was not expected from a character like Jimmy.
- Villain Ball: Jimmy.
- Who's Laughing Now?: Jimmy's revenge.