Recap: Ed Eddn Eddy S 1 E 1 The Ed Touchables
Double D: "Should we feel guilty about Jonny's predicament?"
: "Nah, y'know what they say, a little childhood trauma builds character."
—Double D and Eddy in the ending, just before Jonny rolls into them, setting their jawbreakers loose.
is the original pilot episode for the Ed, Edd n Eddy
series, first airing on January 4th, 1999.
The start of the episode begins with establishing the Ed's individual personalities; it begins with Double D labeling sticky notes all over his room, only for Eddy to annoy him with a series of doorbell pranks. While Eddy is hanging out with Double D and annoying him by messing up his room, Double D misplaces his magnifying glass, to his despair. Eddy calms him down (by smashing his bed over his head) and they head off to go play with Ed. Upon meeting him, they are attacked by his baby sister, Sarah, who is adamant to know where her misplaced Dolly is. Eddy comes to the conclusion that Double D and Sarah's stuff is the cause of a "Serial Toucher", on the loose, prompting them to warn the entire neighborhood of the thief, while they begin a search for the thief.
They set a trap for the toucher via Ed, leading them to believe Jonny 2x4, who touches Ed, is the toucher, and after a quick chase scene, trap him. They set him up in Eddy's room, where they use a lie detector and torturing Plank to interrogate Jonny into compulsively confessing that he is the serial toucher. The Ed's collect their dough after stuffing Jonny into a runaway tire, only for Sarah to reveal that Jonny didn't steal her doll, and Double D to realize he was carrying his magnifying glass the whole time.
Nontheless, the Ed's depart to the candy shop to enjoy their newfound candies, only for Sarah to launch Jonny into them, causing them to chase after their jawbreakers as the iris closes.
- Bratty Half-Pint: Sarah.
- Cassandra Truth: Jonny claiming he isn't the toucher.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: Jonny getting stuffed inside a tire and set rolling around the Cul-De-Sac for his "crimes."
- Deadpan Snarker: Sarah when Double D tells her someone has touched his stuff as well.
- Early Installment Weirdness:
- Double D is implied to have a crush on Sarah. This leads to some Squick as Double D is 12 and Sarah is 9-ish. Later in the series, the crush would be reversed.
- Averted later on, as it is revealed that Sarah is at least 11 in the middle school episodes.
- Plus, the Eds actually get jawbreakers at the end.
- Said jawbreakers are said to cost a nickel(¢5) while later episodes have them cost a quarter(¢25)
- Eddy calling Edd "Edd" and not "Double D".
- Ed being noticeably more intelligent than what he is for the rest of the series.
- Felony Misdemeanor: Double D feeling violated when he thinks his magnifying glass is stolen. Also, Sarah going mad over misplacing her doll.
- Karma Houdini: The Ed's, when they discover Jonny was innocent, unless losing their jawbreakers counts as karma. Double D lampshades whether Jonny's predicament should be pitied.
- This is suprisingly one of the few times they do even get their reward in the series. Following episodes won't be kind for their efforts.
- Medium Blending: The movie playing on Ed's TV is some sort of B-Movie puppet film.
- Neat Freak: Double D is immediately established by this, first by forbidding Eddy to hear his shoes in his room, personally cleaning Eddy with a vacuum, and getting agitated when Eddy jumps on his bed.
- Never My Fault: The whole investigation is started because neither Double D or Sarah are willing to admit they may have just misplaced their belongings.