The Fantastic Four has just finished dealing with a monster escaped from another dimension when a much worse problem is brought to their attention — Reed is rumored to have let the shields fail to test his theories on the effects of cosmic rays. Could the FF's intrepid leader be capable of such a thing, or is there more to this situation?
This episode includes the following tropes:
- Attack of the Fifty-Foot Alien Bugs: At the beginning of the episode.
- Admiring the Abomination: Reed is fascinated by the existence of the Negative Zone creatures and Susan has to snap him back to getting rid of them.
- Clear My Name: Reed attempts to do this, and gets to the bottom just before his framer shows up.
- Comically Missing the Point: Johnny, for a few minutes.
Susan: We can't free ourselves, but maybe we can free each other. Johnny, do you remember when you made Ben's soda can explode just by looking at it?
Johnny: Oh, that was so great; it went all over him! I just concentrated really hard and—oh, I get it!
- Doomy Dooms of Doom: Guess who's behind all this.
- Frame-Up: Doom forged part of the journal entry leaked to the media.
- Guinea Pig Teammates: What the paper seems to suggest Reed did.
- It's All My Fault: In spite of the fact that in this universe, it was Doom's fault the shields failed, Reed still feels this way about what happened to Susan, Johnny, and Ben.
- I Would Say If I Could Say: Alicia (who is blind) asks an ironic question.
Reed carries so much guilt about what happened to all of you—and especially you. If I can see that, why can't you?
- Mad Scientist: Doom is trying to make Reed out to be one of these.
- One-Word Title
- The Power of Friendship: Reed mentions it when talking to the Big Bad.
"You're right, Victor [about him being weaker than the villain on his own]. But you forgot one thing. Unlike you, I'm not alone!"
- Power Nullifier: The Big Bad's cells were built to counteract Susan, Johnny, and Ben's powers.
- Power Strain Blackout: Reed, in midair, when he finishes closing the Negative Zone portal.
- Red Sky, Take Warning: When Doom opens the Negative Zone portal.
- Shout-Out: When Johnny thinks Reed may be guilty, he refers to him as "Dr. Evil".
Reed (upon finding an alien loose): You know there's sensitive equipment in my lab.
Ben: Sensitive? Way to put it mildly, Stretch.
- Whip It: Reed "realigns the creature's molecular configuration" to send it back to the Negative Zone.