Recap: Death Note Ep 25 Silence
L questions Rem about the Death Note, but she avoids giving away too much information; she doesn't want to implicate Light or Misa, after all. She does reveal that a Death Note user could possibly use a torn part of the notebook to kill, though.L tells Light that the former has absolved the latter of any involvement with Kira — just as Misa starts going on another killing spree. Light denies Misa's involvement in these new Kira killings, but L remains suspicious. Rem, on the other hand, figures out Light's plan: he goaded Misa into the second "shinigami eyes" deal and let her start killing again to endanger her life.A short time later, Light finds L on top of headquarters; the latter laments his lack of connection with other people...mostly because they tend to lie. When the two rejoin the rest of the Task Force, L reveals that he plans to arrest Misa again so he can test the (fake) "thirteen days" rule of the Death Note. Just after he reveals his plan, Watari dies and tries to warn L. But the warning comes too late: Rem, in her last act, kills L to save Misa's life. L dies in Light's arms as Light gloats with a single smirk, knowing L can't do anything about it.Light finds Rem's ashes in the lower levels of the building and snatches away her Death Note before anyone else can find it. Rem's sacrifice returns the amount of life given to Misa which she lost as a result of making the deal with Ryuk — and clears both Light and Misa of any involvement in the killings now blamed on Higuchi.Exactly as planned.
Tropes used in this episode:
- Consummate Liar: LampshadedL: Tell me Light, from the moment you were born was there ever a time you've actually told the truth?
- Cradling Your Kill: Light does this with L.
- Dark and Troubled Past: L's past is hinted at by his Dream Sequence.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: L dies in Light's arms.
- Dies Wide Open: L
- Evil Gloating: Light smirks down at L while he's dying.
- Foe Yay / Ho Yay: In spades! Light and L both dripping wet, and then L insists on drying Light's feet, then on giving him a foot massage, and then Light gently brushes L's bangs with a towel...
- Gray Rain of Depression
- I Can't Hear You: L gestures this to Light when he asks him why is he standing in the rain by himself.
- Manipulative Bastard: Light of course but L knows he's boned and so pulls out all the stops with his mind games, becoming very bitter and passive-aggressive, and he insists on giving Light a foot massage.
- Mr. Fanservice: This episode features Light and L, dripping wet and touching each other... right before L gets killed by Light's plan.
- Nightmare Face: Light's got this while L is dying complete with Slasher Smile and red Glowing Eyes of Doom.
- Passive Aggressive Combat: L's last ditch effort to get Light to admit that he's Kira or to spare his life.
- Psychic Dreams for Everyone: L senses his coming death.
- Slasher Smile: Light's face while L is dying.
- Tears of Remorse: Light has them for a split-second while L is dying before commencing with the Evil Gloating.