Recap: Daria S 1 E 09
A girl in Quinn's grade named Brooke gets a new nose job, and Quinn is treated as a pariah for not praising it as obsessively as the other popular girls. With her station threatened, Quinn believes that she needs to get plastic surgery herself in order to keep up, and drags Daria will her to consult Dr. Shar. The amoral surgeon tries to convince both girls to try her wares, while Daria tries to convince Quinn that she doesn't need them.
Tropes present in this episode:
- Body Horror: What supposedly happens to Brooke at the end. According to Quinn, her new nose caved in and the fat she had implanted in her lips slid to the bottom.
- Damned by Faint Praise: In-Universe; while the other girls are gushing about Brooke's new nose, Quinn politely says that it's "cute." This is treated as if it were a terrible insult.
- Mad Doctor: Dr. Shar is more amoral and corrupt than anything.
- Sadist Teacher: Ms. Barch is at her worst in this episode concerning the subplot of making Kevin walk around in ugly make-up as an experiment on the perception of appearance, when she pretty much says she just wants to break his spirit.
- With Friends Like These...: This episode begins to make clear just how Sandi treats the rest of the Fashion Club.
- What the Hell, Hero?: When Quinn shamelessly tries to spin off her attempts to raise money for cosmetic surgery as "Making a statement about solidarity," Andrea has this to ask:Andrea: Aren't you just a little bit worried that there might be a Hell?
This page has not been indexed. Please choose a satisfying and delicious index page to put it on.