A girl in Quinn's grade named Brooke gets a new nose job, and Quinn is treated as a pariah for not praising it as obsessively as the other popular girls. With her station threatened, Quinn believes that she needs to get plastic surgery herself in order to keep up, and drags Daria will her to consult Dr. Shar. The amoral surgeon tries to convince both girls to try her wares, while Daria tries to convince Quinn that she doesn't need them.
This episode provides examples of:
- Alpha Bitch: Sandi uses the incident with Brooke as an excuse to covertly bully Quinn, to which even Quinn herself is oblivious about.
- Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: When Quinn takes Daria with her to the surgeon for moral support, it seems to be more than just her only option. She seems to really need her big sister. Daria is especially concerned about the idea of her sister mutilating her body for shallow beauty standards. She even gives her a heartfelt talk (which she swears to deny hereafter) where she tells her she's beautiful.
- Body Horror: What supposedly happens to Brooke at the end. According to Quinn, her new nose caved in and the fat she had implanted in her lips slid to the bottom.
- Break Them by Talking: Dr. Shar tries this on Quinn and Daria to get them to spend thousands of dollars on plastic surgery. She manages to break Quinn and convince her she needs six thousand dollars worth of surgery to make herself look attractive through backhanded compliments. With Daria, she tries to make her think she needs surgery to look like Quinn does now for starters, but of course fails miserably.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Despite Upchuck flirting with Daria and Jane on regular basis, he actually freaks out when he sees a fake breast implant for the first time. Then he asks through Quinn if he can rent it from Daria.
- Comically Missing the Point: To get rid of Kevin, Daria tells him Dr. Shar's phrase "Money can make anyone beautiful", not caring what Kevin understood from it. At the end of the episode, Kevin got people to accept his greetings... By paying each one of them.
- Damned by Faint Praise: In-Universe; while the other girls are gushing about Brooke's new nose, Quinn politely says that it's "cute." This is treated as if it were a terrible insult.
- Insult Backfire: Lampshaded by Daria when she tells Jane about the encounter with Dr. Shar. The woman tried all the tricks to make Daria insecure about her appearance and even gave her a box of breasts implants. Daria says that her self esteem is already too low to be lowered more.
- Mad Doctor: Dr. Shar is more amoral and corrupt than anything. She even suggests at one point that Quinn can get her parents to pay for her plastic surgery by tricking them into thinking Daria needs growth hormones.
- Sadist Teacher: Ms. Barch is at her worst in this episode concerning the subplot of making Kevin walk around in ugly make-up as an experiment on the perception of appearance, when she pretty much says she just wants to break his spirit.
- With Friends Like These...: This episode begins to make clear just how Sandi treats the rest of the Fashion Club.
- What the Hell, Hero?: When Quinn shamelessly tries to spin off her attempts to raise money for cosmetic surgery as "Making a statement about solidarity," Andrea has this to ask:Andrea: Aren't you just a little bit worried that there might be a Hell?