A modeling agency is allowed to recruit at Lawndale High School. Quinn participates while Daria is disgusted with the arrangement.
This episode provides examples of:
- Aerith and Bob: Romonica DeGregory and Claude.
- Accidental Misnaming: Romonica was constantly correcting her name to Helen, who kept calling her "Monica".
- Always Camp: Claude and Romonica are parodies of Fashion-Business stereotypes. In Claude's case, while he talks and dresses like the typical "Fashion Male", it's still ambiguous.
- Buxom Is Better: Averted. When the busty Brittany is modeling a gown for the recruits, the man motions to his chest as a question and the woman shakes her head "no". In short: Brittany doesn't get in.
- Cool House: Invoked by Jane about Daria's room. She compliments the padded walls and wishes an schizophrenic guy also had lived in her house.
- Cooperation Gambit: Helen agreed to stop talking about redecorating Daria's room if she went to the modeling class to check on her sister. After the deal is closed, Daria tells her that she was going anyway because she had the feeling that something embarrassing was going to happen to Quinn.
- Double Entendre: During sexy modeling poses with male partners, Quinn becomes uncomfortable:Quinn: I need to go to the bathroom.Romonica: Are you sure that's what you're feeling?
- Eating the Eye Candy: Trent claims that he's watching the modeling class because musicians should be familiar with models. Jane doesn't buy it.
- Fat Girl: A short, chubby redhead is chosen as a "decoy" model.
- Ironic Echo: When Romonica tries to convince Helen to let Quinn participate in the modeling class, she says "Quinn is a pearl in a valley of oysters". When it's announced that Kevin won the modeling contract, Daria tells Quinn that "Kevin is a pearl in a valley of oysters".
- Insult Friendly Fire: During the modeling class, a sobbing Brittany sits next to Daria, Jane and Trent and, referring to herself, says that she should be in the class, not there with the losers, whitout realizing that she's not alone there. Also Semi-Subverted when Kevin arrives to console Brittany, Daria tells him exactly what Brittany said, to which Kevin responds "Yeah, I can see that".
- Laser-Guided Karma: Ms. Li agreed to have the modeling agency in the school in exchange of the monetary fee she was going to get for bullet-proof skylights for the swiming pool. Near the end of the episode, the group from the Brutal Mercenary Magazine arrived claiming that they got the same invitation Ms. Li sent to Amazon Modeling Agency, all of which is covered by the news.
- Modeling Poses: Romonica instructs the girls to have a variety of poses, like "going to the hospital to see a boyfriend-stealer get her leg amputated", "pretending to be kittens in a pound" to "finding a headless corpse in a brand-new car".
- Money, Dear Boy: In-Universe. The principal admits that she only allowed the modeling agency on campus so she could use the fee to install bulletproof skylights in the swimming pool.
- Skewed Priorities: One of Romonica's poses was "finding a headless corpse inside a car", highlighting that the car is new. Daria and Jane promptly make fun of this.
- Stealth Insult: Both Jane and Daria give Claude and Romonica one of these. Jane draws them as vultures, while Daria...Daria: I can't take off my glasses. I need them to recognize scam-artists.
- You Are Fat: Romonica complains later that skinny Kevin's butt is too big.