Recap / Cowboy Bebop Session 8 "Waltz for Venus"
While doing a bounty bust, Spike comes across a man named Rocco who is awed by his fighting moves. After pestering him for a brief training session, he leaves Spike with a mysterious plant which he needs to help his blind sister. However the mob boss he stole it from is hot on his tail.
- Bittersweet Ending: Rocco dies before he can see his sister cured of her blindness which Spike does in his place, albeit having to tell her that her brother is dead.
- Bowdlerise: In one of the funnier examples of this trope, the scene where Faye busts in on a gangster in the middle of having sex with a man. His partner was edited out of the scene in the [adult swim] version (making it look like the gangster was humping the Invisible Man, as Adult Swim didn't mute out the second man's whimpering).
- Chekhov's Gun: The episode opens with a voiceover on a spacecraft talking about Venus sickness, which turns out to be the driving force behind the plot. Piccaro's gang stole a plant able to cure the sickness, and Rocco double-crossed them so he could cure his sister of the same.
- Chekhov's Skill: Spike spends a few minutes lecturing Rocco on how to move "like water" during a fight. Rocco manages to put it to good use at the end of the episode.
- Comic Book Fantasy Casting: Piccaro is modeled after Biggie Smalls aka The Notorious B.I.G..
- Helium Speech: Said to be a side effect of Venus's atmosphere unless one take a special pill for it. This is how Rocco manages coax Spike into training him.
- Hope Spot: Rocco uses Spike's training to take down one of this former comrades. Seconds later, he gets fatally shot.
- Knockout Gas: Faye manages to knock out the female hijacker with a little spray of this.
- Too Soon: [adult swim] held off on airing this episode as it coincided with the 9/11 attacks, as it featured a plane-like spaceship getting hijacked by terrorists.