Recap: Courage The Cowardly Dog S 2 E 14 The Magic Tree Of Nowhere Robot Randy
The Magic Tree of NowhereCourage plants a tree from some mysterious seeds that arrived at their door. The tree grows in but a night, and shows strange magical powers when it starts granting Courage, Eustace, and Muriel's wishes. After a the tree understands a comment from Eustace as a wish, Muriel is afflicted with a strange case of huge head. The tree (which turns out to be sentient), offers a cure for Courage in three days, while also prophesying that in three days, it will be cut down by Eustace. Now Courage must protect the friendly tree at all costs for Muriel's sake.Robot RandyA robot from a society of planet-destroying robots is sent to Earth to conquer it. Randy however, doesn't want to destroy things, but to whittle wooden reindeer. He eventually arrives at Earth in the Middle of Nowhere, and enslaves Courage, Eustace, and Muriel. However, Courage soon discovers the robot's true passion on his quest to free his masters.
Tropes displayed in these stories include:
The Magic Tree of Nowhere
- Armor-Piercing Question: The tree tries to pull this on Eustace. Of course, it falls on deaf, dumb ears.Trees: What is it to you that cutting me down will bring? Will it make you feel more important?Eustace: Well... Yes!
- Art Shift: While most of the tree is drawn, its mouth is a close-up shot of a real man's mouth.
- Dark Is Not Evil: "The Magic Tree Of Nowhere" is one of the few times in this show in which a supernatural being or element is not at all evil or even antagonistic.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Randy doesn't want to destroy things and is thus mocked by his fellow robots.
- Alliterative Name: Robot Randy. Additionally, he is also red, whittles reindeer, and appears to be the runt compared to the other 'bots.
- Alliterative Title: Again, "Robot Randy".
- Esoteric Happy Ending: Randy learns to use his gifts to make people like him. But in doing so, Courage, Muriel, and Eustace's home is completely destroyed and all they are left with are Randy's wooden Reindeer, merely as a token of their friendship. Eustace even lampshades how much they were screwed over in the end:Eustace: Great! Now we can rebuild the farmhouse with these stupid reindeer!
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Robot Randy's voice is clearly based on Christopher Walken's.