Tropes displayed in these stories include:
The Magic Tree of Nowhere
- Armor-Piercing Question: The tree tries to pull this on Eustace. Of course, it falls on deaf, dumb ears.Trees: What is it to you that cutting me down will bring? Will it make you feel more important?Eustace: Well... Yes!
- Art Shift: While most of the tree is drawn, its mouth is a close-up shot of a real man's mouth.
- Dark Is Not Evil: "The Magic Tree Of Nowhere" is one of the few times in this show in which a supernatural being or element is not at all evil or even antagonistic.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Just when you thought Eustace has gotten away with succeeding in chopping the tree, karma finally catches up to him as he ends up with the same abnormally swollen head Muriel had earlier.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Randy doesn't want to destroy things and is thus mocked by his fellow robots.
- Alliterative Name: Robot Randy. Additionally, he is also red, whittles reindeer, and appears to be the runt compared to the other 'bots.
- Alliterative Title: Again, "Robot Randy".
- Esoteric Happy Ending: Randy learns to use his gifts to make people like him. But in doing so, Courage, Muriel, and Eustace's home is completely destroyed and all they are left with are Randy's wooden Reindeer, merely as a token of their friendship. Eustace even lampshades how much they were screwed over in the end:Eustace: Great! Now we can rebuild the farmhouse with these stupid reindeer!
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Robot Randy's voice is clearly based on Christopher Walken's.