Recap: Community S 4 E 13 Advanced Introduction To Finality
Let's burn this mother down.
"Listen up, people! We got an inter-dimensional battle on our hands. The evil counterparts are waging a war. And it's either us... or us."
With Jeff having passed history and collected all his required credits, Annie and the Dean plan his graduation, but Jeff is hesitant to leave his friends behind to rejoin his old partner. As the study group plans a party, Jeff rolls a die to decide who has to get soda... which lands on its side, in the crack between the tables. Abed stares in horror, but decides to shake off his sudden premonition. But Evil!Jeff had already teleported into the Dean's office, only to discover that his good self is lamer than ever, and reluctant to leave Greendale. Together with Evil!Annie, they decide to destroy the study group from within, forcing Jeff to graduate.
The Community episode "Advanced Introduction to Finality" provides examples of:
- Aborted Arc / What Happened to the Mouse?: Whatever happened to Dean Spreck?
- Affectionate Pick Pocket: Evil!Annie nabs Jeff's phone while she hugs him.
- Ambiguous Disorder
- Artificial Limbs:
- Evil Annie brings Evil Jeff's prosthetic arm.
- Evil Pierce has lost his right leg from the knee down, and uses a wheel & crutches to get around.
- All Just a Dream
- Badass Baritone: Evil!Jeff has a hoarse Batman-like voice, likely due to smoke inhalation.
- Badass Crew: The evil study group. Just look at that page image. Subverted, though, in that Shirley's too drunk too aim properly, Britta and Pierce shoot themselves and Troy only wants his other self to think he's intimidating. And Abed has made his Heel-Face Turn.
- Badass Longcoat: Evil!Troy and Evil!Jeff wear long leather ones.
- Battle in the Center of the Mind: Everything post dice-roll is going on in Jeff's head as a representation of his conflicting feelings about graduating.
- Book Ends: Ends the fourth season as it began - with an episode that takes place heavily in the mind of a character worried about life after Greendale. Jeff and Abed's roles are even flipped, with one giving a Rousing Speech that takes place in the other's mind. On top of that, the last line is "Troy and Abed in the morning!", a variant of which was used as the first line of the season.
- Break Them by Talking: Evil!Jeff's master plan.
- Bullet Time and Bullet Catch: Jeff vs. Jeff at the end.
- Butt Monkey: Pierce in the cold open.
Troy: All for one, and one... dude we can leave behind. Everybody go, quickly, go!
- Call Back:
Jeff: It's official—it's on a banner.
- Colour-Coded for Your Convenience:
- In the study room confrontation between Good!Jeff and Evil!Jeff, Evil!Jeff is wearing a black shirt, and Good!Jeff wears white.
- Evil Annie wears a black cardigan, Good Annie wears pink.
- Counting Bullets: Troy vs. Troy
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: Abed is able to spot an evil doppelgänger at a glance.
- Dark Is Evil: All evil timeline selves are wearing black leather.
- Dark World: The Darkest Timeline. Chang still rules the school with an iron fist via the Doppledeaner... but hey, at least The Cape found a new life on cable!
- Distracted by the Sexy:
- Jeff makes a speech to Evil!Annie when the study group runs late because everyone's behaving weirdly... only to trail off when Annie takes off her coat.
- Whilst facing off with Evil Annie, Annie becomes momentarily distracted from the actual issue at hand when Evil Annie mentions that she's sleeping with Jeff in the the Darkest Timeline.
- Dynamic Character: Jeff, over the course of four seasons
Abed: You're afraid to graduate because you think Greendale has changed you too much. So part of you wants Evil!Jeff to win, because then you could go backwards and pretend you're the same guy you were four years ago. But you're not. You're stronger. You're better. You have friends. No — screw that — you have a family.
- Entendre Failure: Annie totally fails to get Evil!Jeff is coming on to her.
Jeff: Well, you are making me feel something.
Annie: *blank look*
Jeff: And it's not about graduating.
Annie: *another blank look*
Jeff: I'm saying I'm hot for you!
- Evil Me Scares Me: Played straight with Annie and Jeff. Britta jumps in to defend herself ("Don't talk to her like that!"), Troy is still a bit of a softie even when evil, Shirley sees her drunk self with a mix of contempt and pity, while Evil!Abed had undergone a Heel-Face Turn.
- Evil Wears Black: Everybody in the darkest time line wears black clothes, mostly leather.
- Failed Attempt at Drama:
Troy: Is it you?
Troy: Why would you tell me that?
Evil!Troy: To sound intimidating.
- Faking the Dead: Evil!Pierce.
- False Reassurance: Evil Annie isn't crazy... emotionally.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus:
- Another message about the hiatus and thanking the fans on the whiteboard.
- GCC #411 and SIX SEASONS AND A MOVIE on the blackboard.
- Get a Hold of Yourself, Man!: Inverted. Jeff realises after Abed's Rousing Speech that if this is all in his head, he doesn't have to do anything.
"Don't logic this one away from me. We finally figure out how make paintball cool again."
- Heads Tails Edge: The die lands in the gap between the two tables.
- Heel-Face Turn: Evil Abed (he's just Abed now).
- Held Gaze: Lame! Jeff and Evil! Annie, when they first meet up in the study room (after she reveals her red dress)
- Hell-Bent for Leather: The evil study group.
- Insane Troll Logic: Evil Pierce complains about being left out of the Evil Study Group's invasion plans, but as Evil Annie points out, they thought he was dead for over a year. Even when that's pointed out, he still complains they left him out.
- It's All About Me:
- When Jeff says that he met 6 very important people when he came to Greendale, the Dean believes that he's included in the six at Britta's expense.
- Pierce complains about the group leaving him out again as they decide the six of them will take Astronomy in the next semester, and when it's pointed out that it's only six because Jeff's going to have graduated by then, he complains that he's no longer the one who gets left out anymore. And then barges in on Jeff's graduation to announce that he's graduating first.
- Killed Mid-Sentence: The doppel-Deaner. "Abed brought me here to prove to all of you that—"
- Let's Get Dangerous: When Abed comes back from the Darkest Timeline carrying space-warping paintball guns, the study group decide to go to town whupping ass. Good thing they had two previous paintball episodes to give them experience.
- Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy: Evil!Shirley is too drunk to aim.
Good!Shirley: Get help. [Shoots herself]
- Maybe Magic, Maybe Mundane: Even though the majority of the episode took place in Jeff's head, you've got to wonder if he really did have some sort of ultra-realistic vision of a future timeline where he threw the die.
- Mr. Exposition: Abed, in both timelines.
- My Friends... and Zoidberg: "All right, Mr. Winger, et al. Britta."
- Naked on Arrival: Evil!Jeff appears in his underwear in the Dean's office. Dean doesn't even notice.
- No One Gets Left Behind: "Not without my study group," says Jeff to Evil!Jeff as he rips up his diploma.
- No Range Like Point-Blank Range
- Obviously Evil: All the Darkest Timeline doppelgangers.
- Oh Crap: Abed's face when the die lands.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: Parodied & subverted, when Evil Annie is telling Annie about how she's sleeping with Evil Jeff in the Darkest Timeline.
Annie: Nobody sleeps with Jeff. Not even me.
- Out-of-Character Alert: The Dean tearfully confronting Jeff is what tips him off that something is wrong, Annie taking off her coat to reveal a low cut dress is what cements it.
- Overused Running Gag: Abed proclaims that they finally managed to make paintball cool again, as the last time they have a paintball reference they agreed it was played out.
- Paintball Episode: Now Darker and Edgier and with inter-dimensional paintball bullets.
- Reality Subtext:
- The hiatus is lampshaded heavily during the opening scene.
- In the Darkest Timeline, The Cape wasn't cancelled but was retooled for cable.
- "I was hoping for more" — both Abed and Jeff say this at different points.
- Pierce graduating wasn't in the original script, and was hastily added when it was learnt Chevy Chase wasn't going to return for a potential fifth season.
- Rousing Speech: Played with:
- Abed convincing Jeff he's grown as a person and shouldn't go back to his old law firm.
- Subverted in that after his graduation ceremony, for once Jeff doesn't know what to say.
- Sequel Hook:
- The Study Group decide to study Astronomy next semester.
- Jeff off-handedly mentions that he wound up majoring in education.
- Series Fauxnale: This episode was written with the show's uncertain cancellation in mind to give the fans a satisfying closure. Then the series got renewed for season 5.
- Ship Tease:
- A boatload to Annie/Jeff.
- Jeff/Britta and Jeff/Abed: Jeff mentions the study group fighting over who misses him the most, Britta and Abed both point to themselves.
- Troy/Britta in timeline 5 in The Tag. They're a couple with a baby.
- Shirtless Scene
- Silence, You Fool!: Evil!Jeff to Abed when Abed calls him on being Evil.
- Sniff Sniff Nom: Chang tastes the blue goo that the paintball warping gun hits him with.
- Speak Now or Forever Hold Your Peace: At a graduation ceremony.
- Stupid Evil: Evil!Pierce and Evil!Britta, who shoot themselves back to their own timeline before they can even encounter their good selves, and Evil!Troy, who admits to his good counterpart that he has no bullets. Though there is an argument to be made that the latter two still have latent good qualities ...
- Surprise Party: Annie is totally unprepared to deal with Jeff graduating early — then Surprise! It's on a banner.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: Annie and the Dean are planning a graduation, not a wedding.
- Taking the Bullet: Chang takes a bullet for Jeff while he screams "FRIENDSHIIIIIP!!"
- Time Skip: Lampshaded; it's been several months since the events of the previous episode.
- Unholy Matrimony: Evil Jeff and Evil Annie.
- Walking Backwards: While stalking each other, Evil!Troy and Troy back into each other, turn round and take aim.
- What Could Have Been:
- Megan Ganz posted a deleted line from the script that could have made very poetic Book Ends.
Jeff: Plus, if I stay in town, I can pop by whenever I want. You know, just to settle any group arguments about which one of you misses me the most.
- Apparently, two versions of the episode were shot. The episode was originally going to end on a montage that would show flashes of what the characters were up to now, but it was ultimately dropped because it would need 5 minutes of the episode to do it "right" & NBC didn't want to do the montage in case they made the decision to renew the show for Season 5.
- Woman in Black: Evil Annie wears a black cardigan over her black flowery dress.
- Your Makeup Is Running: The Dean as he comes to Jeff in a wedding dress, distraught at whatever Evil!Jeff said to him.