Recap: Children Of Time S 1 E 3 Gridson
On one (supposedly) last adventure with Holmes and Watson, the Doctor takes them into the future — the distant future. It's time for the events of "Gridlock".Watson is kidnapped by Milo and Cheen, the expecting couple trying to get onto the fast lane. A desperate Doctor and furious Holmes are in full pursuit, only to be thwarted at every turn... until they're taken to the Face of Boe and learn the truth about New New York. In the end, Watson, troubled for the Doctor, persuades Holmes that they should stick with the lonely Time Lord for the meantime.
- And the Adventure Continues
- Berserk Button: Dear heavens, Milo and Cheen kidnap Watson...
- Continuity Nod: The Doctor references "The End of the World" and "New Earth" in explaining what happened to the Earth and to mankind.
- Crapsack World: "So... this is the future of the human race, Doctor? Drugging themselves insensible?"
- Deliberate Values Dissonance: The humans of New New York are as casual about drug use — even more so — than the citizens of Victorian London... Now recall that Sherlock Holmes is an avid cocaine user and that Dr. John Watson is an anti-drug physician... and Holmes actually gets a serious wake-up call.
- Dramatic Irony: No sooner does Watson express his wish to see the advancement of medicine than the trio comes upon the pharmacists and sees the girl who buys "Forget" and uses it.
- Humans Are Morons: The Doctor has a brief moment. Of course, the irony is that Brannigan the anthropomorphic cat is shoved under the category of "human" for the purpose of the Doctor's mental rants.
- Insult Backfire: A mild case:Milo: "A doctor, seriously? Mate, I worked for doctors before this move — you look nothing like one."
Watson: (dryly) "I'll take that as a compliment..."
- Mama Bear:Why did mums get in his way, why was it always the mums…
- Nausea Fuel (In-Universe): Poor Watson, with the, ahem, recycled food.
- Not So Different: "I hate to say it, Doctor, but this doesn't seem much different to the old Earth. Look at all this refuse!"
- Not So Stoic/Beware the Nice Ones: Holmes, Holmes, Holmes. Not to mention the Doctor...
- And Watson, as far as Beware the Nice Ones goes.
- One-Word Title
- Papa Wolf: Holmes again.
- Resigned to the Call: Holmes's eventual acceptance of full-time Companion status.
- Too Dumb to Live: Seriously, Milo? You couldn't just listen to the nice man you kidnapped?
- Tranquil Fury: The Doctor towards the Brannigans when they refuse to go down to the fast lane or to even consider that something might be wrong... and more like "barely restrained fury" at that.
- Used Future: Holmes and Watson were expecting something a bit more spectacular.