TV Tropes Needs Your Help
View Kickstarter Project
Big things are happening on TV Tropes! New admins, new designs, fewer ads, mobile versions, beta testing opportunities, thematic discovery engine, fun trope tools and toys, and much more - Learn how to help here
and discuss here
Recap: Buffy The Vampire Slayer S 7 E 11 Showtime
I'll be sending a guest over to visit you later on tonight, after the sun goes down of course. Try and make him feel welcome before he rips you all to pieces.
Buffy struggles to win the trust of the Potentials. To do so, she must defeat the Turok-Han.
- Absurd Cutting Power: Buffy garottes the Ubervamp with a length of barbed wire until his head comes off.
- All Your Base Are Belong to Us
- Badass Boast:
- Buffy declares herself "the thing that nightmares have nightmares about". And then demonstrates why.
- Parodied when Andrew tries to convince Dawn he's a bad-ass Demon Summoner. Dawn casually mentions that Buffy gave her permission to kill him if he talks too much.
- Bait and Switch: First!Eve Death Glares over the defeat of her Turok-Han. Cut to Spike watching White Blouse Buffy advancing on him wielding a Bringer knife. Uh oh. Spike is telling the First that she's just a figment of his imagination when she reaches up and cuts his bonds. Turns out it's the real Buffy.
- Bizarre Demon Biology
Torg: You broke my heart, Anyanka.
Anya: Don't be so dramatic, Torg. You don't even have a heart. Six spleens, two stomachs, half a brain maybe, but no heart.
- Bring Me My Brown Pants / Brick Joke: The Scoobies untie Andrew from his chair and tell him to go wash as he's smelling rather ripe. After their confrontation with the First, Andrew rushes off saying he needs to go wash again.
- Buffy Speak: Kennedy says that magic sounds "new age-y". Willow replies that what she practices is definitely "old age-y".
- Chained to a Rock: Spike as the Distressed Dude.
- Continuity Nod
- The use of telepathy by the Scoobies, seen in "The Gift" and "Bargaining".
- "I wouldn't touch you for all the kittens in Korea." Demons were shown gambling with kittens in "Life Serial". They're delicious.
- And, of course: Buffy greeting Rona when she meets her: "Welcome to the Hellmouth" (being the title of the first episode of the series).
- Conveniently Timed Attack From Behind: Buffy saving Xander from an axe-wielding Bringer.
- Cut His Heart Out with a Spoon: Well, there's no need when you're threatening a geek who's seen Misery.
- Daydream Surprise: As a Bringer walks over to carve up Spike with his knife, Spike snaps his neck with his legs, breaks the chains and escapes through the tunnels until he runs into Buffy, effulgent in her white blouse and blonde hair. Lovestruck!Spike takes a step towards her...and is brought up short by his chains.
First!Buffy: Dreaming of me again?
- Deadpan Snarker: Kennedy shows she has what it takes to be a Slayer.
Rona: (taking a sword from Buffy) Like this'll do any good. I mean, what's the point?
Kennedy: (points to the tip of Rona's sword) It's this end right here. Just stick that in the bad guys. Any more questions?
- Defensive Feint Trap
- Description Cut: "If I wanted to sleep, I'd be downstairs with the other girls." Cut to the other girls keeping Xander awake with their yakking.
- Evil Tastes Good
Willow: Last time I tried using magic, the First...it turned it around on me. Got inside. I felt it just surging through me, every fiber of my being. Pure, undiluted evil. I could taste it.
Kennedy: How's evil taste?
Willow: (makes a face) A little chalky.
- Extra Eyes / Faceless Eye: Beljoxa's Eye. It's nothing but eyes! In the shape an eyeball and attached tendons. Hate to think what the rest of Beljora looked like.
- Foreshadowing: After Buffy's stunt and speech we cut to Kennedy, observing, nodding in agreement. This suggests she takes Buffy's approach to heart in later episodes.
- Get Out: Doesn't work on an incorporeal being, Buff.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Xander is untying Andrew's bonds.
Xander: Not going there.
- Ghost Story: Molly telling the other Potentials what happened to Annabelle.
- Happy Ending: The Ubervamp is defeated, the Potentials get a moral boost, and Buffy rescues her not-a-boyfriend.
- Holy Burns Evil: Buffy lets Andrew have a bottle of holy water (which he can use to defend himself but won't harm anyone else). Andrew isn't happy; even less so when Buffy grabs it off him later and tosses it into the Ubervamp's face. Neither is the Ubervamp.
- Humans Are Ugly: Anya tries to get help from a demon, who starts complaining that she walked out on him after a one-night stand. Anya promises to sleep with him again, but the demon isn't interested.
Torg: Ugh, please, you're human. The way you look now, I wouldn't touch you for all the kittens in Korea.
Anya: You're rejecting my offer of sexual bribery? (to Giles) What am I, a leper in this town? I can't even give it away!
Torg: Come back when you're a leper.
- Idiot Ball: Subverted: Buffy sends the Potentials to hide in a very unprotected place, staying behind to fight the Turok-Han who promptly shakes her and tracks down the girls. Then it turns out this was part of a plan to allow them to witness supreme slayage in action. (Could have led to an actual Idiot Ball moment if something went wrong, of course.)
- Improvised Weapon: The inevitable result of fighting in a construction site.
- Ironic Echo Cut: When First!Buffy realises Spike keeps saying "She'll come for me" she taunts him by replying, "No, I won't." Cut to Anya asking a demon, "Why not?"
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Dawn saying that the reason only girls are Slayers is down to Rule of Cool.
- Let's Split Up, Gang
- Lowered Monster Difficulty: The ubervamp with stake-impregnable skin can now by decapitated with barbed wire.
Buffy: What is Botox's eye?
Giles: Beljoxa's Eye. It's an oracle-type creature that exists in a dark dimension.
- Meaningful Echo: "Here endeth the lesson" was said by Spike to Buffy in "Fool for Love".
- It was also said by the Master during the first season.
- The Mole / Dead All Along: The Scoobies hear of a Potential who's arrived in Sunnydale and is staying at a hotel. When Buffy and Xander go there, they find the body of Eve, a Potential who's been in their midst for several days.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Giles asks Beljoxa's Eye why the First has waited till now to try and kill off the Slayer line. Turns out he/she's just seized the opportunity provided by the Scoobies bringing Buffy back from the dead last year, which has caused the mystical forces controlling The Chosen One's line of succession to become unstable.
- Once More with Clarity / Unspoken Plan Guarantee: Watching Buffy face off with the Ubervamp in an improvised arena, Dawn realises that Big Sis has set up the whole thing beforehand. Flashback to an earlier scene where Buffy, Willow and Xander exited the room leaving the Potentials to argue among themselves; this time we hear the three Scoobies using telepathy to discuss their plan without anyone overhearing.
- Pink Means Feminine: Torg reminisces over Anyanka wearing pink. Anya points out it was entrails.
- Ripped from the Phone Book: Rona steps off a bus and goes to a public phone to look up Buffy's address, only to find the page ripped out. Having identified herself as a Potential by turning to the torn page, the Bringers move in to kill her.
- Running Gag: SMG's height now becomes a Bond One-Liner.
Buffy: Try picking on somebody my own size.
- Sarcasm Mode
Baljox's Eye: "The eye sees not the future, only the truth of the now and before."
Anya: "Yes, we've all got that. It's called MEMORY!."
- Shame If Something Happened: When Torg turns down Anya's offer of sexual bribery, Giles comes up with a better offer.
"You help us, and the Slayer won't kill your clientele and burn your establishment to the ground."
Andrew: Two men enter, one man leaves.
- Sickly Neurotic Geek: As Andrew climbs down into the construction site he gripes, "I have an inner ear infection."
- Some Kind Of Forcefield: Willow tries to use a protection spell against the Turok-Han.
Willow: Caerimonia Minerva, saepio, saepire, saepsi...
Andrew: Um, deflector shieldsódeflector shields up!
- Sophisticated as Hell
Baljox's Eye: It cannot be fought, it cannot be killed. The First Evil has been and always will be. Since before the universe was born, long after there is nothing else, it will go on.
Giles: I refuse to believe that. There must be some way to destroy it.
Baljox's Eye: (irritated) What, am I talking to myself here? There's no way!
- Stop Helping Me! (In-Universe): Buffy's response to Andrew's trying to support her Rousing Speech to the Potentials with comic book references.
- Sunnydale Syndrome: Averted; Xander notes that tourism is down because it's apocalypse season.
- Survival Mantra:
- There Is Only One Bed: Willow spends an uncomfortable night on the floor even though (or because) Kennedy is more than willing to share the bed with her.
Kennedy: If I wanted to sleep, I'd be downstairs with the other girls.
- Vampire Invitation: Turns out the Turok-Han only needs an "Open!" Says Me.
- What the Hell Is That Accent?: Eve's Southern drawl.