Recap: Buffy The Vampire Slayer S 4 E 11 Doomed
Giles: It's the end of the world.
An earthquake hits Sunnydale, signifying yet another Apocalypse. The gang must return to the remains of Sunnydale High to stop it. Buffy and Riley struggle with each other's secrets.
- All Myths Are True (In-Universe): Forrest mocks Riley when he asks about the Slayer, saying she's just the demon version of the bogeyman.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking
There was so much blood. And there was a symbol (carved into his chest
). And Percy said I was a nerd!
Buffy: Percy said you were a nerd!?
- Bedmate Reveal: Willow turns on the lights in her dorm to find a corpse in bed next to her.
- Blood Knight / "Join the Army," They Said: Riley Finn (apparently a Special Forces soldier) says, referring to demon-hunting, "It's not just a job—" Buffy interrupted: "Right, it's an adventure." (That's actually the Navy's slogan, but I doubt Buffy bothers to discriminate.) Riley doesn't deny that he thinks that way.
- Broken Bird
Riley: I donít know whatís happened in your past—
- Buffy Speak: Even covert ops soldiers use it, with Riley impressed with the "flippy-thing" Buffy did.
- Buffy describes mausoleums as a "big cereal boxes of death".
- Classified Information: Riley says he can't tell Buffy anything more than she already knows about him. Buffy then lists all the information she's found out about the Initiative so far, leaving a rather disturbed Riley.
- Code Name: Buffy is bemused to find that Riley's callsign is Lilac One.
- Continuity Nod: Angel and Faith are both referred to (though not by name) when Buffy is trying to explain why she doesn't want a relationship with someone in the demon-hunting business. Percy mentions how Willow used to tutor him in Sunnydale High. The Scoobies visit the ruins of Sunnydale High library and find themselves stepping on "Mayor meat" — the remains of last year's Ascended Big Bad.
- Crush. Kill. Destroy!: Not recognizing the Signs of the End Times, Riley briefs his team that the demon appears to be "on a basic crush-kill-destroy" pattern.
- Despair Event Horizon: Spike's Bad Ass clothes shrink from a leaky pipe and he can't threaten anyone, even Xander.
I mean, am I even remotely scary any more?
- It makes more sense that the clothes had shrunk from an attempt to do laundry, something Xander had asked Spike to do before leaving the house.
- Did Not Do the Bloody Research: Spike tells Xander to "fag off!" "Fag" is Brit Slang for a cigarette, and a derogatory term for a homosexual in the United States, but not a replacement for the F Word.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!
Spike: I don't want pity from geeks even more useless than I am.
- Double Meaning Title / Doomy Dooms of Doom: a) Buffy and Riley's budding relationship may be doomed, and b) the world may soon be doomed.
- Driven to Suicide: Spike tries to spike himself. He misses.
- Apocalypse Of The Week
- Funny Background Event: Spike trying to Wrench Whack Xander — he keels over in pain without Xander even noticing.
- Grail in the Garbage: Giles once bought a magical talisman from a sorcerer, convinced it was a knock-off. Not only is it real, it's used as part of the demons' apocalyptic ritual.
- He's Back: Spike's sudden outburst of enthusiasm for "fighting the good fight" after he realized that the implanted behavioral modification chip didn't punish him for killing demons.
Spike: That's right! I'm back, and I'm a BLOODY ANIMAL!
- How's Your British Accent?: Spike puts on an unconvincing American accent when he thinks Riley might know who he is. When you add the later reveal that human! Spike was an Upper-Class Twit, we're watching an American actor pretending to be an upper-class Brit pretending to be a punk pretending to be American.
- Human Sacrifice: Subverted; the demons sacrifice themselves to open the Hellmouth.
- Ironic Juxtaposition: The Contrast Montage between the Scoobies' poetic description of the demon to Riley's Spock Speak Mission Briefing.
Buffy: (reading) Limbs with talons, eyes like knives, bane to the blameless, thief of lives.
Cut to Riley: (briefing his patrol team) Three meters tall, approximately 100Ė120 kilograms, based on my visual analysis.
- It's Not You, It's My Enemies: Buffy is unwilling to get involved with someone in the demon-hunting business, but Riley won't take no for an answer just because Buffy is worried something might go wrong.
Buffy: You don't know what my life is like.
Riley: But I'm dying to find out.
Buffy: Dying being the operative word here.
- It Sucks to Be the Chosen One: Lampshaded in the difference between Buffy and Riley's attitude to their work. Riley is a special forces volunteer hunting demons because he likes it, Buffy only does it Because Destiny Says So.
Buffy: Do you know what a Hellmouth is? Do you have a fancy term for it? Because I went to high school on it, for three years. We do not have that much in common. This is a job to you...
Riley: Itís not just a job.
Buffy: Itís an adventure, great. But for me, itís destiny. It is something that I canít change, something that I canít escape. Iím stuck!
- I Warned You vs. the Deadpan Snarker of Doom
Buffy: I told you. I-I said end of the world and youíre like Ďpoo-poo southern California, poo-poo!
Giles: I am so sorry. My contrition completely dwarfs the impending apocalypse.
- Let's Dance: Spike smirks at Xander's "Let's rock and roll" comment.
- Nice Job Breaking It Anti-Hero: Spike throws one of the demon sacrifices into the Hellmouth.
- Not so Dire
Xander: Spike, what is it? What happened?
Spike: Don't look at me.
- Not Worth Killing: While dishing out his "The Reason You Suck" Speech to Spike, Xander remarks that, while he knows that he could easily kick Spike's ass as a result of his Restraining Bolt, he's so pathetic right now that he's not even worth the effort.
- Oh Crap
Giles: Oh (as usual) dear.
- Oh, No... Not Again!
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Riley trying to excuse his combat greens as a paintball outfit. He moans about how stupid that was later on.
- Physical Scars, Psychological Scars
Riley: I have bruises. I don't see a scratch on you.
Buffy: Youíre not looking hard enough.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Spike gives one to Willow and Xander.
Willow: We help people. We fight the forces of evil.
Xander: That is so not true! We're part of the team. She needs us.
Spike: Or you're the same tenth-grade losers you've always been, and she's too soft to cut you loose. (smirks evilly the moment his back is turned)
- No doubt revenge for an earlier one Xander gave to Spike
I hate to break it to you, oh Impotent One, but youíre not the Big Bad
anymore. You're not even the kinda naughty! You're nothing but a waste of space. My
space! And as much as I always got a big laugh watching Buffy kick your shiny white bum, and as much as I know I could give you a little bum-kicking myself right now, I'm here to tell you something: you're not even worth it
- Rock Bottom: William the Waste of Space.
- Rousing Speech For Great Justice: Spoofed with helpless silent protestation from Xander and Willow that, and after a long exhausting night of monster-slaying, Spike was blocking their view of the TV box. The irony of course lies in the fact that Spike is a vampire, and used to be Buffy's enemy until that point.
What's this? Sittin' around watching the telly while there's evil still afoot? It's not very industrious of you. I say we go out there and kick a little demon ass! What? Can't go without your Buffy, is that it? Too chicken? Let's find her. She is the Chosen One, after all. Come on! Vampires! Grrr! Nasty! Let's annihilate them, for justice, and for... the safety of puppies... and Christmas, right? Let's fight that evil! Let's kill something! [Credits start running.]
Oh, come on!
- Saying Too Much: Riley is bemoaning his big mouth with the Scoobies.
I should have just given them my security code and rank! Buffy:
You have a security code and rank? Riley:
No. Did I just say...? (Sinks down on the end of his bed) This is so not good. Everybody knows about me. Iím finished. Itís the end of the world.
- Slashed Throat: The frat party victim is killed for his Blood Magic.
- Title Drop: Buffy to Riley on their relationship. "It's just doomed. And I can't do doomed again just now."
- That Came Out Wrong: Riley tells Buffy how bruised he is. "You should see me with my clothes off."
- To Make a Long Story Short
Iím the Slayer. (Riley just looks at her) Slay-er? Chosen One
. (Riley is still lost) She Who Hangs Out A Lot In Cemeteries? Youíre kidding. Ask around. Look it up: Slayer comma The
- What the Hell Are You?
) Capricorn on the cusp of Aquarius. You?
- What Measure Is a Non-Human?: Hostile Subterrestrials
- The World Is Always Doomed
Buffy: I've seen this somewhere before. I just can't remember where. I mean, it's like...
Giles: It's the end of the world.
Willow and Xander (in unison): Again?!
- Variable Terminal Velocity: A particularly egregious example where Buffy jumps into the Hellmouth after a demon and catches up to it while falling, even though she took the time to run over to Riley, grab a rope from his Utility Belt, and run back before jumping in.