Recap: Big Finish Doctor Who NEDAS 1 E 3 Horror Of Glam Rock
The Eighth Doctor, trying to get Lucie as close to her home time as he can, lands in the middle of a snow storm in 1974. The two of them step out of the TARDIS and almost immediately tromp on a mutilated corpse. They go into a nearby diner to notify authorities, and wind up trapped there facing a literal alien invasion.
While people rapidly start dying, Lucie realises that the diner's waitress is actually her aunt Pat, and introduces herself. Pat is extremely disappointed that in Lucie's time, she's "a nobody", not a famous drummer as she hoped to become. She decides to just become the best aunt she can be once Lucie is born.If only she knew
And the Doctor saves the day using Lucie's MP3
player and a stylophone.
The Headhunter is still on her way.
- Added Alliterative Appeal: Ron the Roadie.
- Ambiguous Disorder: Tommy.
- Bottle Episode: The entire thing takes place within a roadside cafe.
- Call Back: The TARDIS has a bumpy ride through a Time Eddy.
- Call Forward: Tommy at one point mentions he can hear the music of the spheres.
- Creepy Monotone: Tommy pulls this off at times.
- Eldritch Abomination: What the aliens' "real" forms look like.
- Energy Beings: The Only Ones are creatures originally inhabiting sound, before they became their current form.
- Glam Rock: Obviously. There's even a Glam Rock version of the Doctor Who theme at the end.
- A Good Name for a Rock Band: Several pop up in the story.
- Greasy Spoon: The roadside diner. Lucie remarks that it's not very clean, and would be shut down in her time.
- He Is Not My Boyfriend: Lucie gets somewhat indignant when Tricia assumes the Doctor is her "bloke".
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Bernard Cribbins, who plays Arnold Corns, would later play Donna's grandfather in the TV series.
- More bizarrely, Tommy Tomorrow is Boyzone's Stephen Gately.
- Una Stubbs aka Mrs Hudson from Sherlock plays Flo the diner lady.
- Hostile Weather: As Arnold says, "It's like the Call of the Bleedin' Wild out there."
- Karma Houdini: Arnold directly causes the death of his two signed on artists because he's a stubborn bastard, and even though his leg is hurt, he faces off against a group of Only ones and manage to escape with his life and even saves the day by handing the Doctor the key component to him trapping the Only ones.
- Left the Background Music On: Scene changes are often accompanied by a synth track... Until we're introduced to who does the synth tracks.
- Mind Control: The aliens want to use Tommy and his music to trick his fans into becoming dinner.
- Red Baron: The Only Ones know the Doctor, but only by repute.
- Shout-Out: The aliens are called "The Only Ones", a punk band from the 70s.
- Snow Means Death: They're trapped in the cafe by a massive snowstorm.
- To Serve Man: The Only Ones think humans are really tasty.
- Waxing Lyrical: Arnold Corns at one point says: